How about a Thread for Embdens?

Hi everyone. I'm Kelly. This is my first post on here. I would just like to say I love all the pics. I'm thinking of getting embden geese. I have seen advertised a farmer selling 5 year old geese as they are at the the end of there commercial laying life.. I have 3 dogs .3 horses and 1 chicken ( she is now 7 yrs old ) could they become friendly.. can some give me advice please
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
!
I honestly doubt they are done laying. Socializing is possible, but will take some time. Being from a commercial situation, they will likely be timid. Have the dogs ever been around geese before?

Welcome to BYC:frow !
I honestly doubt they are done laying. Socializing is possible, but will take some time. Being from a commercial situation, they will likely be timid. Have the dogs ever been around geese before?

No never been around geese. 2 soft labs ( harmless to any animal) but am a little worried about the shepherd as she is only 2 yrs and wants to play with everything .if she tries to play with geese will they stick up for themselves.

Hi everyone. I'm Kelly. This is my first post on here. I would just like to say I love all the pics. I'm thinking of getting embden geese. I have seen advertised a farmer selling 5 year old geese as they are at the the end of there commercial laying life.. I have 3 dogs .3 horses and 1 chicken ( she is now 7 yrs old ) could they become friendly.. can some give me advice please

My embdens were feral adults when I got them. Pretty tame now after a lot of slow work to get them friendly. They go down the hill to visit in the horse paddock with my daughter's two quarter horses. They graze on the grass growing outside the fence and then linger in the paddock trying to figure out how to get up into the water trough.
lau.gif
The horses pretty much ignore them like they do the chickens who even steal out of their grain pans when they are eating.

Her lab gets all excited and wants to play and the gander hisses and opens his wings to threaten. Not so good as Buster the goose thinks he has the dog scared away when it is actually my daughter telling him to "leave it" that holds him back. If a strange dog shows up it won't go so well.

Buster is a bully, especially during breeding season. He pinches the chickens (I think it entertains him to hear them scream) and really beats up on the Muscovy ducks. He's in goose jail right now because he bloodied up the neck of one of the muscovy hens trying to breed and just abusing her in general. I would worry about a single chicken.

The chicken wouldn't live with the geese as she is in a garden pen 60 foot x 40 foot she would just free range with them when we are around .I'm not to worried about our horses just the shepherd really.

The chicken wouldn't live with the geese as she is in a garden pen 60 foot x 40 foot she would just free range with them when we are around .I'm not to worried about our horses just the shepherd really.
My Dads shepherd killed his geese, jumped into the pen. She was otherwise just a loveable dog. Hated cats and other small animals. She would kill possum, raccoon etc. My GS tore open a rabbit pen and killed them. They are awesome dogs. I think they have to be trained young to not go after other animals.

Hello everyone, Day 28! Two eggs left. We can hear pip pip pip from one of the egg, no we are not imagining it, my husband heard it too, it be doing that? Does this mean they have pip internally? The air sac is like L shape now. Do we ramp up the humidity now? When will I need to intervene? One is not moving as much as the other and heavier but I see slight fluttering when candle so she is still with us.

Hello everyone, Day 28! Two eggs left. We can hear pip pip pip from one of the egg, no we are not imagining it, my husband heard it too, it be doing that? Does this mean they have pip internally? The air sac is like L shape now. Do we ramp up the humidity now? When will I need to intervene? One is not moving as much as the other and heavier but I see slight fluttering when candle so she is still with us.
@psue

Hello everyone, Day 28!  Two eggs left.  We can hear pip pip pip from one of the egg, no we are not imagining it, my husband heard it too, it be doing that?  Does this mean they have pip internally?  The air sac is like L shape now.  Do we ramp up the humidity now? When will I need to intervene?  One is not moving as much as the other and heavier but I see slight fluttering when candle so she is still with us.

If you hear it peeping it has internal pipped so you should expect a external pip within 12 hours.
Some eggs don't move as much because some aren't as fast at absorbing the yolk.
The less moving ones most likely haven't internal pipped yet while the moving ones peep and internal pipped.
Now if one hasn't been moving at all it could possibly be dead but always candle BEFORE you crack open the egg to be sure it ain't dead ;)

Thanks Johnny 2000 for comments I would be heartbroken if anything like that happened .I need to think a little more to make sure I do the right thing.

If you hear it peeping it has internal pipped so you should expect a external pip within 12 hours.
Some eggs don't move as much because some aren't as fast at absorbing the yolk.
The less moving ones most likely haven't internal pipped yet while the moving ones peep and internal pipped.
Now if one hasn't been moving at all it could possibly be dead but always candle BEFORE you crack open the egg to be sure it ain't dead
wink.png

Thank you Servpolice! Just checked in on the eggs, the one that isnt moving as much has cracked the eggshells but not broken through? But... it's on the wrong end no? I thought they are supposed to come out at the air sac end? Do i do anything?

Back
Top Bottom