How about a Thread for Embdens?

Thank you, will do that, hopefully they are not paying for my silly mistake. Do you also do the 10min cooldown everyday on your goose eggs at the moment? what temperature are you using? Do you a place where I can get a guide that are specific to Embden?

I just read all the articles I could find about incubating geese before I started. Poor Lucy has been unsuccessful for two years now, so I decided to swipe her eggs as she laid them and incubate myself. She starts laying when it is way too cold and the eggs freeze solid.

I have them at 99.5 degrees and turn them 3 times a day, spraying them each time. They are probably similar to duck eggs as to humidity needs and temp. I plan to start letting them cool for 15 minutes once a day starting tonight (day 10). That's what Metzgers recommends. When it comes time for lockdown I will up the humidity and reduce the temp a little and hope for the best. I think there are 9 developing out of 11, but will leave them all in the incubator another week before checking again. I think the first few may have frozen even though the egg wasn't cracked.

Last edited:
I just read all the articles I could find about incubating geese before I started. Poor Lucy has been unsuccessful for two years now, so I decided to swipe her eggs as she laid them and incubate myself. She starts laying when it is way too cold and the eggs freeze solid.

I have them at 99.5 degrees and turn them 3 times a day, spraying them each time. They are probably similar to duck eggs as to humidity needs and temp. I plan to start letting them cool for 15 minutes once a day starting tonight (day 10). That's what Metzgers recommends. When it comes time for lockdown I will up the humidity and reduce the temp a little and hope for the best. I think there are 9 developing out of 11, but will leave them all in the incubator another week before checking again. I think the first few may have frozen even though the egg wasn't cracked.

My Lily starts laying early February but doesnt sit till end June, she has already started to squash her eggs because it's overcrowing her nest. I took 8 eggs she's still left with 10 and counting. I wish the Muscovies would hurry up and get broody already LOL

Hi there, can someone help me please? I recently purchased a Janoel 24 to try and incubate my embden eggs. I had 8 eggs in the incubator since 7 Mar at 37.6C, turning them twice daily manually because the automatic turner doesnt turn them all the way around because of the side of the eggs. I was told to let the eggs cool down 10 min a day and to sprinkle it with water once a day which I also do. But I forgot to turn the incubator back on after I switch it off for the 10min cool down :( It was left at room temp (16.7C) for 8 hours. Are these eggs still viable?

cool down isn't as bad as getting too hot. 8 hours wont hurt any good strong babies

Thank you, will do that, hopefully they are not paying for my silly mistake. Do you also do the 10min cooldown everyday on your goose eggs at the moment? what temperature are you using? Do you a place where I can get a guide that are specific to Embden?

I incubate at 99*F. Start cooling at day 7 for 10 min. working up to 20/25 minutes just before lockdown on day 28. My routine is too pull a set of eggs... candle... then mist and cool. I start with the oldest ones and work to the newest. Then replace in the incubator in the reverse order. this leaves the oldest to cool the longest. My incubator however ... will hold up to 100 goose eggs. I have a separate hatcher.

I incubate at 99*F. Start cooling at day 7 for 10 min. working up to 20/25 minutes just before lockdown on day 28. My routine is too pull a set of eggs... candle... then mist and cool. I start with the oldest ones and work to the newest. Then replace in the incubator in the reverse order. this leaves the oldest to cool the longest. My incubator however ... will hold up to 100 goose eggs. I have a separate hatcher.

Thank you! guess my temperature is too high at the moment then, will bring it down and start candling in a few days.

Thank you! guess my temperature is too high at the moment then, will bring it down and start candling in a few days.
I don't use a still air incubator... be sure of what kind your basing your decisions on
wink.png

@ducky 13
  how is your goose doing.

Sorry for not replying, her legs are all good now. I'm still binfuzzled on how she got that way but now she is in her wing molt and it is snowing with their feathers. I can't wait for eggs I want goslings!

Edited:
Do you guy's think my goose's legs got like that from sitting on eggs in the wrong nest? She had a tire filled with hay as a nest and she rarely got up. I figured her legs lost circulation... has anyone had this happen before, I mean she is fine now, I just want to prevent this from happening again

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for not replying, her legs are all good now. I'm still binfuzzled on how she got that way but now she is in her wing molt and it is snowing with their feathers. I can't wait for eggs I want goslings!

Edited:
Do you guy's think my goose's legs got like that from sitting on eggs in the wrong nest? She had a tire filled with hay as a nest and she rarely got up. I figured her legs lost circulation... has anyone had this happen before, I mean she is fine now, I just want to prevent this from happening again
That's great news!! Just sitting and not eating and taking care of herself can cause them to get weak, I make my water fowl get off the nest at least one time a day unless they do it on their own. Depends on the size of the tire too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom