How about egg shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bring, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Can I give my chickens the shells from the eggs I used? Can it be used instead of oyster shell?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yes, you can feed the egg shells back to your hens. I do it all the time. I just mash the shells into small pieces, mix them with feed and they seem to love them.

It is called . . . recycling.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Yes, you can feed them back to the flock. I bake mine so their brittle and there is no raw egg on them and then crumble them up, and put it out free choice.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:I do exactly the same.

5. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I keep mine in an old coffee can with a lid on it for a few days. When I have gathered a can full, I bake them at 350 for an hour.... let them cool and give them to the grandchildren to crush OR stick them in the blender for 60 seconds. I do not want my chickens to ever eat or peck their own eggs and the oven also changes the taste, dries up any wet egg and makes them easier to crumble. I offer the eggshells in a separate dish and the hens nibble on it all day long.

If the grandkids are around, they really enjoy helping.... http://beautifulchickens.blogspot.com/

6. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I've not had any luck with feeding them back to them. I save mine over the winter and use in my garden in the spring when it is tilled. Great source of vit for garden and then those veggies are feed to them. Sooo, just another way you can use them.

7. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    great idea..... i forgot about the garden.....

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I feed mine back to the over our balconey. They free range so when I toss they come running. Few minuets later no egg shell left.

9. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    do they ever peck or eat their own eggs in the nests?

10. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I only have a egg eating Problem, when a hen Lays from the roost and breaks on the floor/ground.

then they eat it before I get it. But I remove any leftovers Promptly upon seeing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by