How about Rhubarb?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gmachicken, May 17, 2011.

1. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Someone told me she thought her mom fed their chickens rhubarb leaves. I know people cannot eat this. If so how much is OK.
    Thank you for your help.

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Rhubarb leaves are very, very high in oxalic acid. A large enough dose can kill, too much (but not fatal) can cause kidney stones, it interferes with the body's ability to absorb other nutrients, etc. I put mine in the compost pile because it's just not worth it.

Swiss chard, OTOH, looks very much like rhubarb and is completely edible and delicious. My chicks love it! When I hear people talk about seeing someone eat rhubarb leaves, I presume they meant swiss chard.

3. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hi Sorry it took me so long to check back in.
    So putting the Rhubarb leaves in the compost is OK????
    The O acid must break down. I will do that.
    Thank you for the heads up.

4. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    I wonder if they can eat the rhubarb flower stalks? I'm forever pulling them off my rhubarb. Just a thought

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The very first day I had chickens, they (3 hens) in about 2 minutes ate every leaf off 2 good sized rhubarb plants. I was sure my chicken venture wasn't gong to make it even one day. But they were fine. I've never had them or others eat rhubarb leaves.

Imp- The plants have virtually died.

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i think they would have to consume a fairly large amount.

my dad has rhubarb, and his won't touch them. i had thrown some down in front of his guys and gals several days ago, and they wanted nothing to do with them. they were too busy looking for bugs and eating grass and weeds.

his roosters are jerks, anyway, so maybe they were just doing it to spite me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by