how accurate is comb size and color at 8-10 weeks?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I got sexed chicks so should have been pullets. I got 10 had 1 pass away this weekend that I was 99% sure was a pullet........ Then I have one that I am 99.9% sure is a roo........ I now have the EE that most think is a roo, and one of my light brahma's comb is getting bigger and redder at 9.5 weeks. a couple others look a bit more pink than yellow for the comb but not red at all just a slight hint of pink........ But did I get unlucky with 3/10 being roo's and possibly more? or is comb size/color not that accurate? I haven't noticed any saddle feathers yet but from what I have read it is early. The hackle feathers look rounded but even on my EE they do and everyone is guessing roo........

Depending on breed combs and wattles can help. But I've read that when it comes to the wyandottes some develop early on and is not a true indicator to sex. Im currently in that situation right now with 4 wyandottes(2 silver laced and 2 gold laced) 2 of the 4 already have red combs and wattles and the other 2 don't. I've read on another thread to wait it out that that is many times a false indicator for the breed.

I'd say dive deeper into it breed specific as you didn't tell us the breed of the bird in question 😁

Saddles usually don't show up for a few more weeks. Pictures help 😁
I only have a couple of not good pictures from last week. I need to get new ones but it was raining and yucky out today so they were staying under my raised coop for most of the day so hard to get pictures. And yes I read that about saddle feathers that is why I said I read they wouldn't show up yet. I was more wondering how accurate sexing is by color and comb size. I can try to upload the couple not great pics I have from last week of the light brahma I am questioning. I have a thread already started for my EE.

Depending on breed combs and wattles can help. But I've read that when it comes to the wyandottes some develop early on and is not a true indicator to sex. Im currently in that situation right now with 4 wyandottes(2 silver laced and 2 gold laced) 2 of the 4 already have red combs and wattles and the other 2 don't. I've read on another thread to wait it out that that is many times a false indicator for the breed.

I'd say dive deeper into it breed specific as you didn't tell us the breed of the bird in question 😁
as stated in my first post: I now have the EE that most think is a roo, and one of my light brahma's comb is getting bigger and redder at 9.5 weeks.

as stated in my first post: I now have the EE that most think is a roo, and one of my light brahma's comb is getting bigger and redder at 9.5 weeks.
I did see about the EE but noticed just now that the other was a brahma. I personally don't have experience with them specifically. Lemme see if I can do some sleuthing on this and see what I find.

I hope so! Here's my Wyandottes at 3 weeks old. I swear they're all roos! And I do mean swear!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210614_192419309.jpg
    IMG_20210614_192419309.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210614_192653648.jpg
    IMG_20210614_192653648.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210614_192822056.jpg
    IMG_20210614_192822056.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 20
I did see about the EE but noticed just now that the other was a brahma. I personally don't have experience with them specifically. Lemme see if I can do some sleuthing on this and see what I find.
I unfortunately can't find anything about their comb and wattle development like I did with wyandotte development similarities I'm my case. So pictures for sure would be helpful.

I hope so! Here's my Wyandottes at 3 weeks old. I swear they're all roos! And I do mean swear!!
My two looked the same at 3 weeks. Since then they grew more and got deeper. But the as the feathering grew in im still fairly certain mine are pullets. Give it a few more weeks and you should know. I'm not 100% as I'm still new to this but what I've learned so far I'm still fairly confident I got all pullets.

Photo #2 I see some feathers that are mostly rounded and not a sharp point so seeing what little I see I think pullet in your case😁

Back
Top Bottom