How accurate is My Pet Chicken when they say how much a chicken lays?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roosterboy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    And when they say 1/wk does this mean any week or is this an average for the year including winter/ going broody/ sickness?

Can i increase egg production?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    What specific breed are you looking into? We can tell you from experience depending on what you are wanting...

3. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I just meant in general

How do they come up with the amount? Is it the average for the year?

Specifically i was thinking of EE's, silkies, brahmas, red sexlinks, australorps, and faverolles

Sorry i wrote so many breeds

4. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    only 1 a week? i get 1 from each hen a day! lol

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's a better source than a hatchery's website to find out general information about breeds:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

If you'll look across the chart at the color and size of eggs for each breed, you'll also see alot of eggs in one pile for some breeds, only a few eggs in the pile for others. That's to give you an indication whether they are prolific layers or so-so layers.

I go to a hatchery website to look at the pictures of the birds and to see what they have available. I don't think you should decide what breed you want by looking at one hatchery's website. The hatchery is in business to sell lots of chicks, just like a car dealer is in the business to sell lots of their cars. Of course the hatchery is going to emphasize the good points to a breed and downplay the negatives.

By the way, I once used MPC's breed selector to find the breed that's "just right for me" because I was bored one night. Turns out I wouldn't own any of the breeds that they recommended. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by