1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How accurate is My Pet Chicken when they say how much a chicken lays?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roosterboy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Songster

Oct 28, 2008
    And when they say 1/wk does this mean any week or is this an average for the year including winter/ going broody/ sickness?

Can i increase egg production?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. BJ

BJ Songster

Mar 20, 2007
    What specific breed are you looking into? We can tell you from experience depending on what you are wanting...

3. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Songster

Oct 28, 2008
    I just meant in general

How do they come up with the amount? Is it the average for the year?

Specifically i was thinking of EE's, silkies, brahmas, red sexlinks, australorps, and faverolles

Sorry i wrote so many breeds

4. americana-chick

americana-chick Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    only 1 a week? i get 1 from each hen a day! lol

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's a better source than a hatchery's website to find out general information about breeds:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

If you'll look across the chart at the color and size of eggs for each breed, you'll also see alot of eggs in one pile for some breeds, only a few eggs in the pile for others. That's to give you an indication whether they are prolific layers or so-so layers.

I go to a hatchery website to look at the pictures of the birds and to see what they have available. I don't think you should decide what breed you want by looking at one hatchery's website. The hatchery is in business to sell lots of chicks, just like a car dealer is in the business to sell lots of their cars. Of course the hatchery is going to emphasize the good points to a breed and downplay the negatives.

By the way, I once used MPC's breed selector to find the breed that's "just right for me" because I was bored one night. Turns out I wouldn't own any of the breeds that they recommended. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by