How accurate is the sexing of chicks?

KayleighW

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Kansas
I'm just curious how accurate the sexing of chicks is. I have 42 chicks that are all suppose to be pullets. I don't want any roosters! I bought them from a local feed/farm store. I don't know where they order the chicks from. Does anybody know what the odds are of accidentally getting a rooster? Has anybody bought all pullets and had any end up being males? Mine are too young to tell right now, but I sure hope they are all pullets!

About 50/50
wink.png
! Sorry, couldn't help myself! I would say with 42 chicks, there will likely be a roo in there somewhere unless you bought sex-linked. If they were vent sexed - you have a good chance of mostly pullets, but even with that it is not 100% accurate! My feed store will not even guarantee it. I think they say there is a 3% chance of getting ar oo where they get their chicks from - not bad - but out of 100 chicks, 3 will be roos! .. It is the chance you take with buying chicks, and hopefully you will be able to rehome roos easily if you in fact got any.

I have read that of course nothing is 100% and it sounds like with the purchase of 42 there's a good chance you've gotten a roo or two. However, check with your store on their policy of taking back pullets that turn out to be roosters.
My question for everyone is helping me to figure out if the silver lace Wyandotte chick on the left is a roo...my other lace Wyandotte bought at the same time is top right. "Chicken Little" as I call him(?) has a redder looking comb than all the other 6 pullets I purchased. I can post a straight on picture too (see below)....any opinions would be great. We'd actually love to have a roo to raise, so before buying 1 I want to be sure. Yet I don't want to much time/age going between my next purchase. which will be partridge wyandottes. Thanks in advance
smile.png

Fisherman's wife, my local feed store claims 99% accuracy, however last summer I purchased 5 chicks from them, and 2 were roos. There is never a 100% chance of getting all girls. Good luck on not getting too many roos
hide.gif

breakfast for 2, yes, that is a roo, sorry to say.
hmm.png

I have read that of course nothing is 100% and it sounds like with the purchase of 42 there's a good chance you've gotten a roo or two. However, check with your store on their policy of taking back pullets that turn out to be roosters.
My question for everyone is helping me to figure out if the silver lace Wyandotte chick on the left is a roo...my other lace Wyandotte bought at the same time is top right. "Chicken Little" as I call him(?) has a redder looking comb than all the other 6 pullets I purchased. I can post a straight on picture too (see below)....any opinions would be great. We'd actually love to have a roo to raise, so before buying 1 I want to be sure. Yet I don't want to much time/age going between my next purchase. which will be partridge wyandottes. Thanks in advance
smile.png

Sorry, I can't help you with your Wyandotte. All mine seem to have a little redder combs than the other chicks for some reason. Maybe it's just the breed?

About 50/50
wink.png
! Sorry, couldn't help myself! I would say with 42 chicks, there will likely be a roo in there somewhere unless you bought sex-linked. If they were vent sexed - you have a good chance of mostly pullets, but even with that it is not 100% accurate! My feed store will not even guarantee it. I think they say there is a 3% chance of getting ar oo where they get their chicks from - not bad - but out of 100 chicks, 3 will be roos! .. It is the chance you take with buying chicks, and hopefully you will be able to rehome roos easily if you in fact got any.
50/50!? You had me scared there for a second! I have 5 sex links, so I know they are pullets. Hoping the rest are too. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom