How aggressive are ganders?

Horsebackrules

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I want to get a pekin and a cayuga duck, but I am also considering a goose. Both ducks will be male because of their softer quacks and because I would have no idea what to do with all the eggs. Would a gander get along with them? I'm think about a buff, white chinese, or toulouse, I don't want to get a female because I've heard that ducks and geese will try to mate with each other.

Idk, I've heard the drakes are fine. I just don't know about ganders. And the gander would have the ducks as company. I'm only worried about it fighting with the ducks. They will be raised together as babies though.
If you´re determined that you don´t want females, it´d be best to forget the gander. Just have fun with your drakes....
big_smile.png

hmmm...I guess I'll get females then because I really want a goose.
tongue.png
but I usually don't eat eggs (never tried a duck/goose egg). I probably can't sell them either because of laws. I really won't have any idea what to do with them. I don't bake either.
hu.gif

I really would prefer drakes though. Is there any specific reason you think a gander would be a bad idea?
any goose or gander on its own isn´t a good thing. Two ganders together may get on, or may fight. Two females will be fine. A single gander with a number of randy drakes could be a risky thing, as the gander may try to mate the drakes, which could all end up in a fight. It´s just so much more likely to be a headache than having females. Of course, there are always exceptions.
Geese lay for a short season. Their eggs are great for making omelettes, or scambled eggs. Or even give them away. (I´m surprised you wouldn´t be allowed to sell them) I give away all my first-year geese eggs, being small, and folks really enjoy them. They have a huge yolk.
Some breeds lay more than others.
I really would advise against getting a lone gander, though. Some folks have 2 ganders that get on ok, but others not. But a solitary one.. he´d be pretty sad, and so may you down the line. But, of course, the choicde is yours....
big_smile.png

I want to get a pekin and a cayuga duck, but I am also considering a goose. Both ducks will be male because of their softer quacks and because I would have no idea what to do with all the eggs. Would a gander get along with them? I'm think about a buff, white chinese, or toulouse, I don't want to get a female because I've heard that ducks and geese will try to mate with each other.
Hi. Well, you´re much better off with female ducks, and eat the eggs...or sell them. Females are much easier work all round.
And a gander without a goose is a bit sad.
welcome-byc.gif

Idk, I've heard the drakes are fine. I just don't know about ganders. And the gander would have the ducks as company. I'm only worried about it fighting with the ducks. They will be raised together as babies though.

hmmm...I guess I'll get females then because I really want a goose.
tongue.png
but I usually don't eat eggs (never tried a duck/goose egg). I probably can't sell them either because of laws. I really won't have any idea what to do with them. I don't bake either.
hu.gif

I really would prefer drakes though. Is there any specific reason you think a gander would be a bad idea?

Last edited:
Hmmm...are there any other opinions? I'd like to hear from more than one person before I decide whether to or not. Not that I don't believe you or anything though. Just want to see if anyone else has experience with this!

I have ducks and geese. At one time we had our geese with extra drakes. This was an issue or drakes kept fighting with each other and the geese. They wee horny little devils. That did not work for me.

Hmmm...are there any other opinions? I'd like to hear from more than one person before I decide whether to or not. Not that I don't believe you or anything though. Just want to see if anyone else has experience with this!
I had a lone gander he was hatched by one of my Muscovy's 7 years ago, and lived with these ducks for over 5 yrs before I got him a mate, He mated with the ducks and I believe he was a duck just quite a bit taller than them. I will say he seemed to be pretty happy living with ducks but when i finally got him a mate[and it took awhile for him to accept her] mating season cinched the deal here, but boy did he come into his own once he realized he was a gander. I agree raising a gander by himself would be cruel being they are flock animals, raising one with ducks isn't too bad but seeing him now with his mate and 2 kids just makes me know I never should have waited so long to to get him a goose. Goose eggs taste so good make yummy omelets are great for baking too. and some like to use them to make ornaments. So having to many goose eggs ? I don't think so. Drakes and Gander together raised together or not will be a problem come mating season.

Back
Top Bottom