How and when to move a broody pullet with eggs?

Nov 30, 2018
I have a 7 month old pullet (the one in my profile picture) and her breed is known to be broody at a young age and become an excellent mother. She has 3 eggs under her and she has been sitting on them for less than a week. She'll peck me if my hand gets near her. The chickens are a trio, the coop is small and we have a rooster. How and when do i move her to the box I prepared for her, or should I just leave her there?

I would just leave her there. When chicks hatch, you can asses the situation again. You can make whatever changes if needed. Offer her some more nesting materials if you think her nest is measly. Also offer her food and water on a separate dish, so she can munch on it and drink from her nest.
Is your other hen also broody???
Looking at your pix in Avatar, and wondering what you have. Is she a Phoenix, bantam, or a Golden Duckwing? I had a few Golden Duckwings in the past.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I would just leave her there. When chicks hatch, you can asses the situation again. You can make whatever changes if needed. Offer her some more nesting materials if you think her nest is measly. Also offer her food and water on a separate dish, so she can munch on it and drink from her nest.
Is your other hen also broody???
Looking at your pix in Avatar, and wondering what you have. Is she a Phoenix, bantam, or a Golden Duckwing? I had a few Golden Duckwings in the past.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
The other hen isnt broody and the breed of the broody hen named Maple is a native chicken found in the Philippines.(There are many types of Native chickens but i dont know exactly because I found her roaming around without a mother)

That also make sense, I had a Red Jungle Fowl Hen that looked like that once. The rooster looks completely different then the hen, and is with more colorful plumage.
You don't have location in your profile. If I seen it as Philippines, or surrounding Indonesia, I would have been guessing The Red Jungle Girl. :love

Back
Top Bottom