How are American Game Chickens?

DesertGrrl

Songster
Sep 24, 2020
Arizona
I have a friend that can get me some American Game Chickens (pullets).
Are they good egg layers?
Will they be ok with my two feed store chicks (5 week old Barred Rock and Delaware)?

I fed mine the same as everyone else...and I very rarely saw them. They would show up to eat, and disappear into the woods. I never saw an egg. If they were kept in a coop, you’d get eggs but not a lot. As @sourland said, they go broody easy and don’t lay a lot.
But hey, if they’re free it’s worth a shot :woot

I have a friend that can get me some American Game Chickens (pullets).
Are they good egg layers?
Will they be ok with my two feed store chicks (5 week old Barred Rock and Delaware)?
Gamefowl are not all equal. Even hens can cause some big problems. Like was already mentioned if you’re truly just interested in eggs then game hens probably aren’t worth the trouble for you. I have a couple hundred gamefowl and still keep a few layers for eggs so that should tell you something.

I fed mine the same as everyone else...and I very rarely saw them. They would show up to eat, and disappear into the woods. I never saw an egg. If they were kept in a coop, you’d get eggs but not a lot. As @sourland said, they go broody easy and don’t lay a lot.
But hey, if they’re free it’s worth a shot :woot
I'm planning on keeping them in a 10x10 coop.

I would argue that you’ll spend more money feeding those 10 hens then you would just buying eggs. Some game hens will fight too. If I were to round up 10 pullets I have loose right now and stuck them all in one coop it would be a nightmare. Taking one out for one reason or another is another issue. If you think it’s bad reintroducing a laying hen to the flock just wait til you try it with a bunch of game hens.
A lot depends on how old the pullets are now and how they’re being kept. If they’re all together and they stay together you shouldn’t have any issues but they do far better free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom