How are chicken breeds made?

Many years of select breeding. There are quite a few members of byc with threads about their new breed projects, what some of them have so far are gorgeous and amazing, and truly could be breeds of their own!
This is one I’m excited to see when they are getting close to and at their goal .
Emerald Dragon
Some other breeders posted images of their project birds to, and they are also really cool!
If you plan on trying to breed your own breed, definitely look at current breeds and learn about traits and how they are passed (you know basic genetics: dominant, recessive, hidden, lethal)

I have always wanted to make a cool looking chicken or something, but how are they made? Like selective breeding and stuff like that

I would create a new breed this way:

--decide what traits you want in your breed
--learn about the genes that cause those traits
--buy chickens that have the genes you need
--cross a male of one breed with a female of another breed, then either breed the chicks to each other, or to one parent or the other, or to yet another breed
--keep crossing in various directions, and selecting the ones with the right traits to produce what you want [this might take years]
--when you get a set of chickens the way you want them, breed among them and keep selecting the offspring, until you have chickens that always produce chicks with the same traits, the ones you want [this can take MANY years, and may never be fully finished]

Yea woah that's interesting isn't it. Yep the dinosaur they reckon had feathers now too. You can see it when the chickens and some birds in general behave and run they look like how people think dinosaurs run ect.. thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom