How are everyone's turkey nests doing?

We hatched on Sunday! (5 little BR poults)
23539_dayold_wince.jpg

Hen is still sitting on 5 eggs that didn't though...I'll take them away at the end of the week...I'm feeding mash in the nest so no one expires between now and then...

So we got a hen sitting on about 10 eggs and its been well over 28 days. Not sure what kind of hen thought it might be that bronze breasted that isnt able to breed. Candled 3 of them a couple days ago and one was solid no viens and the other two were clear. Are they bad? If so is it possible to stick some fertile chicken eggs and let her hatch them? Will she be ok with the babes? or should we just get rid of them?

Oh oops then i put some in front of her and she put them under her, Ill prolly just leave her and see what happens. I took all her eggs though. I cracked 2 open, she had nine one was definitely bad but the other one had some blood in it? That means its fertile right? I think i got broad breasted bronze turkeys but im not sure. I looked it up after she layed her eggs and it said they cant reproduce. Ill put a pic up and Someone tell me what they think i got please.

051.jpg

Thats our tom

050.jpg

And thats our hen

I'm not that good with those breeds, but could they be Narragansetts? If so, they would be fertile eggs. I believe the "fertility" problem with BBBs is just that physically, the male is too huge-breasted to mount the hens. Have you seen these 2 breeding? If so, they're probably fertile.

Quote:
They are bronze turkeys but they may be standard bronze instead of BBB's. Standard bronze are very active breeders. When I used to raise them my hens used to lay and nest pretty much year round. I have never dealt with BB turkeys but I don't see why a BBB hen could not be successfully bred to a standard bronze tom. I know a man who had successful breedings of his BBB hen and Royal Palm tom.

Back
Top Bottom