how are the chickens gettingout?

trillium hens

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Since our neighbor's dog killed 2 of our sweet hens, we built a chicken yard out of hardware cloth and fence stakes, so the girls could still range, but would be safe from dogs. Everything was fine for a few months, then we started finding them outside their fence. Can't find any gaps under the edge of fence anywhere - were they flying over it? We found a third hen dead on the outside of the fence, so we tried clipping their wings. They are still getting out. Any ideas? Our fence is 4' high. I hate to keep them totally cooped, but hate losing them even more.

4 feet high is not high enough to keep a determined bird in. Look for anything they can jump on first and then jump over the fence. Birds can still fly a little even with wings clipped. Either or both could be happening to your birds.

My hens used to get over the 5' fence by running at it and flapping their wings as they climbed up the wire strands, like a ladder, and over they'd go on to the large compost pile in the garden. I had one hen that could fly up 7' to the top of the coop and let herself in and out. Sneaky girls.

Depends on the breed.
A 3' fence keeps Penedesencas in because they prefer to run than fly.
A 4' fence can't keep a determined Jersey Giant in.
Jaerhons can fly out of anything.

Quote:
I agree. Once they've been free they don't give up easy!
wink.png

I have 4 ft fencing everywhere (sort of in sections and the entire property which is small) They flew over the fence and I had problems with a neighbor so I had their wings clipped over a year ago. They haven't flown over the fence since. They are Buffs and so rather large and that is probably why they aren't getting over. I was told their wings would have to be clipped yearly although I havn't done it. Hope it isn't true and they have learned not to fly over. I tell you this to say that I have been successful so far with fencing.
Good luck and so sorry about your losses.

I have a 5 ft fence around my run, and I have netting over the run, all except where the gate to get in is. This is where my EE & the lightest if the BR are getting out. Stinkers! My hubby came home & found Sweet Pea our EE on the deck, I found her once in the brooder container I had on the deck, and she had laid her egg there too. My only other option is to use the PVC decorative fencing I have, and attach it to my Run door, but raise it to 6 ft, and see if that will stop my escapees.
lau.gif

Quote:
Where did you get your Penedesencas... I've been researching the breed and am interested in getting some in the spring. Supposed to be very heat hardy.

I have two sexlinks that at their leisure fly up on top of a 6 foot run fence. I don't have it covered but those two are the only one's that care to do that.

We have 6 ft fencing. The leghorn laughs at it. Still havent' found her latest nest
sad.png

The older orps and marans stay put. The younger, lighter ones fly to the top of the 6 ft. We are thinking of deer netting.

Back
Top Bottom