How are you frugal?

I only buy fabric on sale.
tongue.png

Seriously, we will use a wood stove for main heat. We can get a permit for 4 cords and it only costs $20 and you are allowed 3 permits a year.
This year due to my husband bing injured we bought wood, still cheaper than electricity.

I buy in bulk (do the math and be sure you are getting a good price)

Very large garden tha grows year round. Had a local rancher grow us a beef thsi year and it dressed out at 1.79 per lb for all cuts. Re-use everything we can.

I go to AUCTIONS!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
I can't believe how cheap stuff goes sometimes.

terrielacy - at an acution this weekend there is going to be an industrial sewing machine and fabric up for bid!!! Guess what I'm going to do this weekend?
lol.png
Wish me luck! I so want a super heavy duty workhorse machine!
fl.gif

I have recently started putting leftovers in vacum pack freezer bags instead of throwing away whatever isn't eaten within the next day or so. Since my daughter is a very picky eater sometimes, this is working out great. The second thing I have started doing is making my own laundry detergent. The cost per load is basically a few cents compared to the expensive store bought name brands, and it works just as well.

When the kids need pants (which are usually the most expensive clothing item) we head to the Goodwill before going to the store to buy pants. I also never buy the boys church clothes at full price. Those always come from the Goodwill.

I also call several stores to find the best price on a non-food type item that I am needing before I head out to buy that needed item. Like today I bought a 40 lb. bag of black oiled sunflower seeds for the girls. I called around to four different stores here to find out who had them at the best price and went there.

Cook all my meals at home from scratch (I am a vegetarian and eat mostly beans, grains and vegetables - very cheap foods); take my lunch to work; ride my bike, walk or take the bus almost everywhere (go without a car if you can, it will save you a bundle); shop at secondhand stores; buy things that are only sale; stopped buying CDs, DVDs and watch what I have, check out DVDs from the library and use netflix

DB

I also go to Goodwill (in fact I'm going on Saturday before the auction!) for clothes. My daughter and I were at a Sears this week trying to find warm tops and I was appalled at how THIN they are!
ep.gif
I mean, how do you stay warm!? I just don't get it! And the average price is like $25.00! Yikes!
somad.gif
So I am looking forward to Goodwill this weekend and then maybe Salvation Army next week.

Another thing we do is pick up road killed deer. Just got our first one this year. Saves us tons of money.

It's a way of life for us, just how we were raised. I only buy what I need, have no debt, heat with wood from our own land, garden, home canning and now chickens. I also make most of our food from scratch, only wash clothes when they're dirty (hard to do when teenagers were around) and fix all our own stuff.

Wow - I just read that and I sounds like I live in a shack! We actually have a nice home
smile.png

Also, we rarely go out to eat because I'm usually disappointed for what I get for the price. I also don't go out much because I don't like to drive DH's truck around town, so that saves $ too!

I think I'm just cheap. Hey - Maybe I'm finally back in style!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom