How are you preventing Avian Flu in your flock?

Pics

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y’all,

I recently read an article by WIRED that stated that Avian Flu was back in the US and actively infecting waterfowl and wild birds. I’ve dreaded the day it came back, since backyard flocks are slaughtered if it’s transmitted to humans.

I’d like to know how y’all are preventing your birds from getting infected. I am in the process of fully covering my runs and am moving them as little as possible around the yard. The birds are no longer allowed to free range. (They haven’t been anyway since a hawk tried to pay a visit 2 weeks ago.) Feeders and waterers are wild bird-proof. If anyone in my household goes anywhere with chickens/ducks or to the feed store, they have to change their shoes, disinfect them, change clothes, and take a shower before going into the backyard. No one who keeps chickens or ducks is allowed in my yard without a change of shoes. I think that’s got everything covered, but I’ll be interested to see if I missed anything.

Interested to hear what y’all have done/will do to protect your birds!

Uh-uh, no way am I letting them kill my innocent birds if they don’t have any flu.
Thats why people where hiding them in other states which is stupid. I mean if this got as far as new york where I am and i was in that zone then they can cull all my chickens,ducks and even my geese, but touch my budgies and its gonna be a different story lol I didnt starty line in 09 for them to be wiped out for nothing

Back
Top Bottom