How are your chicks in this SNOW!?

BreezeCrestChickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mine were TOTALLY refusing going outside. I couldn't even shoo them out to laugh at them playing in the snow LOL! My BR rooster jumped down in because another hen pecked his tail feathers as if to say "Nanner, nanner, you're testing out that...white stuff!"
109609_dscf5202.jpg

LOL! Mine did the same thing yesterday. I put my BR in the snow, she just stood there.. I went to nudge her and she flew OVER ME back into the barn. Thank god I converted my old garage into a run for the winter! They refuse to go out!

ETA: Wow your boy is getting big!
smile.png

Last edited:
wow,
it's like 69 here this morning and gets up to 85 degrees here, everyday still.
I ENVY YOUR COLD WEATHER......................................I HATE FLA. HAVE WANTED TO LEAVE FOR 20 YEARS.
We have to wait for our kids to move out and we are hitting the road for cool weather.....................anywhere. so far we love colorado.
I see that Canada is beautiful...too
Happy holildays.
I thought chickens loved the snow????

too cute, your babies:D

Quote:
Canada is beautiful. Glad it isn't as cold right now as it could be.. It's going up to 45 today and tomorrow here, so I am looking forward to watching the snow melt away. I'm sure my chickens would agree!

I hate snow, so I'm glad it is an uncommon occurrence here!

I live in AL so when I get my chickens they will probably not see it but maybe once or twice in their lifetimes.

Well, I have 3 sets of chickens and 3 ducks.

The 1st group consists of a white crested Phillip (Polish Roo who saved my life a week ago ), and HIS hens ; Sassy ( Leghorn), Winnie ( SLW ), and Sophie ( Jersey Giant ).

2nd group is Robert ( Salmon Favorelle ) and Lucy ( Partridge Rock ) and the 3rd group are Emily and Ranger ( Barred Rock hens ) and THEIR Ducks , Kiwi ( Jumbo white Pekin ) and Bonnie and Clyde ( Rouens ).

This is the first winter for All of them and I'm a bit worried about how well I've
Made their coop , but I'm sure I'm just being overlly concerned and it will be just fine.

Our First snow was a huge blizzard. The next day when I opened up everyone's doors , Everyone came bolting out !

They all just stopped right in their tracks and just stood there in complete shock!

The group who Phillip owns , got "'crowed " to get back inside even tho the girls started enjoying pecking at the snow. Bob and Lucy just love scratching in it and the ducks and their 2 chickens don't care how deep the snow is, they just stomped out a path in their area to walk around in.

Phillip seems to be the only one who doesn't like it and tries sooooo hard to keep his girls inside but they all manage to escape one by one

It's all quite funny.

P, S, I see you all have Silkies... How does Everyone take care of them in the cold and snow ?, because I wanted some bit read that they don't do well in the snow and cold ...

ladychicken&Ducklover :

Well, I have 3 sets of chickens and 3 ducks.

The 1st group consists of a white crested Phillip (Polish Roo who saved my life a week ago ), and HIS hens ; Sassy ( Leghorn), Winnie ( SLW ), and Sophie ( Jersey Giant ).

2nd group is Robert ( Salmon Favorelle ) and Lucy ( Partridge Rock ) and the 3rd group are Emily and Ranger ( Barred Rock hens ) and THEIR Ducks , Kiwi ( Jumbo white Pekin ) and Bonnie and Clyde ( Rouens ).

This is the first winter for All of them and I'm a bit worried about how well I've
Made their coop , but I'm sure I'm just being overlly concerned and it will be just fine.

Our First snow was a huge blizzard. The next day when I opened up everyone's doors , Everyone came bolting out !

They all just stopped right in their tracks and just stood there in complete shock!

The group who Phillip owns , got "'crowed " to get back inside even tho the girls started enjoying pecking at the snow. Bob and Lucy just love scratching in it and the ducks and their 2 chickens don't care how deep the snow is, they just stomped out a path in their area to walk around in.

Phillip seems to be the only one who doesn't like it and tries sooooo hard to keep his girls inside but they all manage to escape one by one

It's all quite funny.

P, S, I see you all have Silkies... How does Everyone take care of them in the cold and snow ?, because I wanted some bit read that they don't do well in the snow and cold ...

They do well as long as they aren't wet.
smile.png
If you think of it this way: they have tons of fluff to keep them warm. If their feathers get wet they freeze easily, so keeping them out of damp areas is important. They are less fragile than polish, I can tell you that right now!
tongue.png
I have both breeds.

Best with cold is my BO. None like the snow. The ducks haven't tried it out yet. I just keep the door closed until I can clear a pathway. I don't want my silkies to get lost under it all
lol.png

Oh my, I've been so paranoid about my polish!

He doesn't mind the snow that much anymore , and stays out in the rain if he wants.

I've insulated their coop and have heat lamps in there with a thermometer so I can watch and make sure it doesn't drop below 35 .

They have a coop within a coop where all of them climb up into the nest box area which is closed except for a small entry and exit hole.

They snuggle up back in it, so I think that will help.

So far it's been steady at 42, but the days of below 0, are coming!!

I don't know what more to do.

DD

Back
Top Bottom