How bad and why is whole wheat bread given as a treat bad for flock?

My understanding is that folks are worried about it causing sour crop from the yeast used perhaps?? Really yeast in and of itself can grow seemingly with any starch.. I've seen it growing on top of feed when I used to ferment.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

I have a hard time imagining 1 slice of bread being enough for that many birds to even get a crumb each! I wouldn't worry about it as you describe using it... personally.

Wheat is also a fun thing to sprout or fodder for the birds!

Most things are fine as a treat.. which is typically defined as less than 10% of the total daily intake.

Well meaning fear mongers... get their concerns validated and/disproved with this amazing community of support and collective knowledge! :highfive:

ETA: please understand I am NOT a professional.. just an avid fancier with about 10 years under my belt.. and learning something new still EVERY day!

ETA: some feeds are made with wheat instead of corn which could impact the yolk color due to different feed stuff but the end nutritional analysis should be accurate. White corn can cause platinum colored yolks. Wheat itself is not an issue. Excess bread would be. :)
Thank you! 🤗

The amount you mention is minimal when split between that many birds. I think they'll be fine. But in general, one other concern with bread (not mentioned here) is that it's very high in carbs and can cause obesity, especially in obesity-prone breeds like Orpingtons (but if fed regularly and/or in large amounts). This is also why you shouldn't feed bread to wild birds - like all the well-meaning kids tossing bread at the ducks by the town pond. Imbalanced nutrition and too many fattening carbs.

The amount you mention is minimal when split between that many birds. I think they'll be fine. But in general, one other concern with bread (not mentioned here) is that it's very high in carbs and can cause obesity, especially in obesity-prone breeds like Orpingtons (but if fed regularly and/or in large amounts). This is also why you shouldn't feed bread to wild birds - like all the well-meaning kids tossing bread at the ducks by the town pond. Imbalanced nutrition and too many fattening carbs.
So... Orpingtons and I have something in common, we're both obesity-prone breeds! 😉

Back
Top Bottom