How bad is the H1N1?

I just dont want any thing to happen to my lil sibs. I dont care if i get it. Or how do we know if we all ready had it?

Chicken Girl

If they get the flu just tend to them like you would any flu and if you see any symptoms to be concerned about consult a doc.

H1N1 seems to be affecting young more than the elderly. When I discussed the vaccine with the doctor and that I had received the live virus vaccine courtesy of Uncle Sam he said skip it. Most of us over 40 have been exposed at least once in our life to the swine flu.

BTW I got very very ill from the vaccine that Uncle Sam gave, but then it was a live virus vaccine.

I don't know which one I have right now, but let me describe it to you:

th.gif

It hit like a ton of bricks. No warning except for one cough at 3AM on Monday morning. Chest congestion is awful, I'm coughing stuff up, fever spikes ridiculously. My ibuprofen and acetominaphine have stopped working to keep the fever down. I'm freezing as well as sweating and I'm so sick of watching re-runs on TV I could puke. I ate some chicken noodle soup and got sick, but before I got to the restroom, I fell asleep in my bed. So far, no nausea other than that.

Aching, dizziness, fever, horrible throat pain, coughing that can't be stopped by cough meds.

That about sums it up.

you might want to get a Nebulizer. talk to your doc about one. It helps so much! We use ares every time we get chest stuff.

Chicken Girl

I received an email on H1N1 prevention. Most of the info makes sense so take it for what it's worth.

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a
global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into
contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so
much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 > infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and > development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully
highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of
focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1.Frequent hand washing
2.Hands off face approach...keep hands away from face.
3.. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you
don't trust salt).
H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal
cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents
proliferation.
In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that
Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day
with warm salt water.. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti
(very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but *blowing the nose hard
once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt
water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*
5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C
(Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C
tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can.
*Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse
direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the
stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm

Quote:
OMG you poor thing! Try not to get depressed! I'm sure you will make it through. Eat really healthy... if you can eat....and if you can't eat try to get away with taking some vitamins.

I refuse to get a flu shot, even if I did qualify for one. I believe that a healthy diet and a strong mindset of not getting sick will save you. It seems like the only times a get really sick is when I feel down in the dumps or am being really lazy. I try to drink a glass of OJ every morning and a glass of milk on top of a bunch of water throughout the day. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables also. My dad got a flu shot last year and was SICK for a week
sickbyc.gif
. After that I was like HECK NO! I've never in my life have had the flu ::KNOCK ON WOOD:: and I'm almost 26.

My husband is still recovering. We made fun of it & thought it was a media ploy, until he got it. He's 30 years old...doesn't smoke (but has asthma, although not bad enough for an inhaler or anything)...but he ended up needing IV's and VERY sick.

In neighboring Spokane, there have been 3 or 4 deaths of otherwise young, healthy people.

Back
Top Bottom