How bad is the H1N1?

It's worse than a chest cold. Similar to the seasonal flu.

I will get my kids and myself the vaccine. You can't get sick from the vaccine. That belief comes from people getting sick after they get the vaccine and just assuming its from the vaccine itself. It actually takes a couple of weeks for you to build an immunity after the vaccine is given.

The nasal vaccine is best for small children - they get a better immune response from it. Shots best for adults.

Getting the vaccine isn't all about YOU not getting it but also protecting those around you that may be more suseptible.

H1N1 has caused more deaths than the seasonal flu this season. It's recently been reported that half of the deaths from H1N1 have been in people with no underlying illnesses. It is rare though considering how many people have gotten sick.

So take the middle of the road here. It's not something to panic about but be smart about it to. I think the vaccine is a good idea.

Last edited:
I thought I'd add...

His symptoms started off with body ache and a cough. The cough got worse, then the fever came...close to 103 with chills and horrible sweating. The cough got so bad he was throwing up (from coughing so hard) and could barely breathe. He was dizzy, had a pounding headache and diarrhea.

I'll get the vaccine as soon as it's available, I firmly believe in them. I care for my 91 year old father, who doesn't need the vaccine because of his age, though he gets the vaccine for regular seasonal flue and so do I.

One of the things is, with the H1N1, people get it, seem to get better, then relapse and THATs when really harsh symptoms hit worse. While the initial symptoms aren't horrible, if there's ANY sign of a second 'wave' get to the docs!

Around here, they're asking people to avoid bringing extra people to any doctors office or emergency room, and to wash wash wash hands.

Ok so my mom and dad help with are youth group. They all most closed the school but they did not. So we still have youth group. the littles have to come. do you all think we should still go?

Chicken Girl

I took my 3 youngest kids to get the mist vaccine last week. They had no side effects from it- but the little ones have to go back after 28 days for a second dose. My doctor told me that if you THINK you have it (regular flu hasn't hit here yet) then you NEED to get to the doc in the first 36-48 hours for Tamiflu BEFORE it sets into your lungs. If you wait too long it could turn into pneumonia, and then it can kill you. More than 1/2 of the deaths so far have been teenagers.

Here in TN- people over 24 can't get the vac until next month,but now they are urging everyone between 2 and 24 to get it a.s.a.p. Pregnant women as well. Then people that care for an infant under 6 months. Then everyone else (especally under 50 years)

Quote:
I'd worry about your little sis since she's been so sick before.

Other than that just practice very good hygiene - wash hands, don't touch mouth/nose/eyes. Take hand sanitizer - studies have shown that hand sanitizer is just as effective as hand-washing(and it's more likely that people will use it than wash their hands).

I'm surprised your little sis's pediatrician did not highly recommend her getting the vaccine along with all family members to help protect her.

I dont know which one I contracted either but as someone mentioned
th.gif

It knocks you down and hard.
I have asthma and when the cough started I thought no biggy, then phneumonia, I am on the second round of antibiotics and one round of steroids and not getting any better. what ever it is its been 4 weeks now with little signs of going away.

I gess i should just wash Wash WASH!!!! lol I wash all the time. But i am taking hand stuff to youth group! lol I hope all of you who are sick get better soon!!!! Thanks guys! I do think lil sis and bros should stay HOME! lol And i hope you all do not get it! I just wanted to know if its as bad as they all say. lol

Thanks,

Chicken Girl

My husband is a fire fighter and his station got an e-mail from emergency services which gave some advice on how to avoid getting H1N1 which I found very interesting.

1. Wash hands frequently. (I know you all know that already!)

2. Avoid touching your face. The only time you should touch your face is in the shower or when eating, after you have thoroughly washed your hands.

Okay, this is where it gets interesting.
wink.png

3. Gargle frequently throughout the day with salt water. The germ sits in the back of your throat and takes 3 days to take hold. Gargling with salt water will kill the germs! If you can't take the salt water, listerine will work too.

4. Drink plenty of hot drinks / liquids daily. We prefer hot cocoa and hot herbal teas here. This will wash the germs down into your stomach where they won't have a chance to grow.

So there you have it folks! Stay healthy everyone.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom