How bad is this bumblefoot? Opinions please!

Lazygaze

Songster
Dec 3, 2020
Hi all, can you tell me how bad you think this bumblefoot is? The one on the toe specifically. The pad of this one looks a bit different I know. I was worried it was slightly infected so I wrapped it with some germolene and vet wrap last night, haven’t taken it off yet.
FYI - I have been soaking with Epsom salts, picking bits off and wrapping with magnesium sulphate paste and vet wrap. I don’t think it’s improving.

Attachments

• F69FFEB8-896D-4CB1-8E43-938FD8BB49FE.jpeg
    F69FFEB8-896D-4CB1-8E43-938FD8BB49FE.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 25
  • 083E3AA1-120D-4E4E-AD61-FEB3FFDFCD67.jpeg
    083E3AA1-120D-4E4E-AD61-FEB3FFDFCD67.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 8
I would continue with the soaks and if the toe sore scabs, try to remove it and squeeze out any solid pus inside.
Is squeezing the way to go then? I gave it another go this evening and it was quite traumatic- obviously painful for her and kept bleeding so was impossible to see what I was doing.
Have you ever tried using ice to stem bleeding and numb pain a bit? I might try that tomorrow.
it’s all so bloody traumatic :(

Can I use this neosporin on her? Or have I got the wrong one? We don’t have it in UK so I ordered off eBay but now I’m worried as I’ve read you shouldn’t get the pain relief one

Can I use this neosporin on her? Or have I got the wrong one? We don’t have it in UK so I ordered off eBay but now I’m worried as I’ve read you shouldn’t get the pain relief one

Attachments

• 5723285B-1A1C-427C-8325-E8B5A6792A18.png
    5723285B-1A1C-427C-8325-E8B5A6792A18.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
There is currently a lot of controversy about the use of pain relief drugs (benzocaine, lidocaine, pramocaine, etc) in chickens. It probably won’t hurt to use it some, but I wouldn’t use a lot or for a long time. Can you get chlorhexide? It is common in some mouthwashes and antiseptics. You could mix that with a little vaseline and it would work as well.

There is currently a lot of controversy about the use of pain relief drugs (benzocaine, lidocaine, pramocaine, etc) in chickens. It probably won’t hurt to use it some, but I wouldn’t use a lot or for a long time. Can you get chlorhexide? It is common in some mouthwashes and antiseptics. You could mix that with a little vaseline and it would work as well.
Hi @Eggcessive thanks for your reply, sorry I didn’t see it until now, it’s been my daughters 21st bday.
I ordered some regular Neosporin and while I wait for it to arrive I have been alternating between Germolene ointment (the thick pink stuff) and magnesium sulphate paste. I dunno tho, I’m not sure anything I’m doing is making a difference, soaking, ointment or anything :-/ I’m going to keep trying anyway til the Neosporin arrives.

My husband made an incision along side the worst bumble and we hoped a kernel would come out but nothing really did, it was really unpleasant for everyone involved but of course straight after she was bimbling about and seemed completely fine. We haven’t had the same experience as a lot of people though, where either soaking produces a nice intact kernel and a clean hole, or cutting makes room for the crap to come out.. we obviously didn’t want to cut her but we read the horror stories about it spreading to bone tissue and being fatal and panicked. I think now I’m just going to keep soaking, picking, packing and wrapping!
Thanks for your answer, I appreciate.

Prid's drawing salve. Not sure if it's available in the UK, but I'm sure you could get something very similar from the local pharmacy. Look up the active ingredients and find something available there with the same stuff in it. Or order it online. This stuff is life changing!

Back
Top Bottom