How best use Jubilee Orps - or even Mottled.

oleyankeefarmer

Hatching
Feb 25, 2015
So I am new here but have had birds 18 years. I started with Buff orps and went to blues. I am wanting to try some new things. Here is my dilemma....im focusing on my orps....

I have a black roo, jubilee roo, 2 blue hens, 2 black hens....I have on order 12 lav eggs, 5 blue chicks, 3 jubilee chicks. Id like some mottled chicks/eggs as well. But....I am all over the place in trying to figure out how to best use the colors.

Batman (the black roo) normally has only blue or black hens.
Joker (the Jubilee roo) should only have Jubilee hens?? Is that true?

Whats the deal with our resulting splashes? Ive been selling them as chicks and not keeping any since they are not an approved color to show and I cant cross them to either roo. But then I went and ordered Lavs and they are not approved either...and on top of it how can I use the Lav girls in my program without a lav roo?

Seems like I have to have an entire coop or just Jubilees and then another one of just Mottles if I want them too??

Do you all set up coops by color? My place is starting to look like a jail!

My other roo (Penquin) is a barn yard mix of a Austrolop x Blue Orp and has 3 NH reds, 3 Barred rocks, 2 Sussex, 2 cochinxamericans....he free ranges his girls so I cant ever let the orps out of the pens or he could get ahold of a hen.

This is crazy. Help me find some direction!

AmyJo (CT)

I'm not a show person, but it seems to me, the splash pullet chicks would be useful, for breeding if not for show, to you since splash to black would produce 100% blue. Again, there are more expert geneticists on the forum, but since any thing from your Jubilee roo would be split for mottled, it seems like you could find use for him with some other than Jubilee hens. Just some thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom