how big are cackle hatcheries african geese?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
i read their breed profile and the reviews and it seems kind of mixed, with some saying they’re large and some saying they’re unusually small. has anyone ordered africans from them in the last 1-2 years? how big were they? tyia :)

i read their breed profile and the reviews and it seems kind of mixed, with some saying they’re large and some saying they’re unusually small. has anyone ordered africans from them in the last 1-2 years? how big were they? tyia :)
I haven’t ordered any from them, but I would probably try asking them what size their breeders are at the hatchery.
I would imagine that they are relatively the same size as birds from other hatcheries, but you never know for sure.

Hatchery African geese are not true African geese unless they have the super in front of there name. (I have 2 and love them) but they are a production goose breed from africans to produce more eggs and have a higher fertility rate, similar to there cousins the Chinese. If you see the words "ours do not have dewlaps they are not a quality standard goose but production goose.
That being said I have both. I kept 2 of my girls for eating egg production and cuze we love each other, but all the rest are purebred APA standards geese (who are on the watch list). There a few handfuls of breeders working on bring them back to there glory across the US.
Here is a photo of a few of my babies at 6 months of age (there much bigger right now) and dead center is a hatchery no dewlap African. the goose in the center by the way is 2 years old and fully developed. Her name is "My Precious" se was the largest of the birds I got from the hatchery

Attachments

• 242078374_263418442302085_259977068108058915_n.jpg
    242078374_263418442302085_259977068108058915_n.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom