How big are the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sepaditty1, Sep 10, 2013.

1. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm thinking of getting some Easter Eggers because I keep hearing such wonderful things about them. I'm just wondering if their eggs will be close enough to my other eggs in size that I can mix them for selling. Or are they smaller and I'd need to separate them?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There are bantam EEs and LF (large fowl).

The LF eggs will be medium (to med-large) in size from my experience. The bantam ones are adorable!

So yes you can mix them in but they will be smaller than the sex link eggs or leghorn eggs.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My EEs lay large eggs & they are the same size as my other breed's eggs. Never had any that laid medium eggs after they got going.

4. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    My EE hen (I only have one) lays huge eggs. Much bigger than my other LF eggs. I wish I had a few more like her...

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Easter Eggers can vary quite a lot in egg size. This is one of the reasons I stopped buying them in favor of breeding my own. They can run anywhere from medium to extra-large with most in the medium to large category in my experience. The same for shell quality and color. A lot of variation.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My adult hatchery EEs pretty consistently lay eggs that are between medium and large, the leghorn X EEs tend to lay large to extra large. The shell color really varies in the hatchery EEs, but most lay a sort of medium green.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by