How big do silkies get??

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
This is my silkie tofu and she’s one of my first silkies. How big do they usually get? I noticed her crown is already starting to have a reddish undertone and I’m wondering is this as big as she’s going to get or do they get any bigger?
IMG_2411.jpeg

How old is she? They stop growing around 5-6 months old. As far as actual Silkie size, it can vary from orgin. A lot of places refer to them as bantams due to them being too small to be a standard, even though they aren't bantams. Most of the Silkies in the US are about twice as large as your average bantam while Silkies from China or Japan are more closer in size to standard chickens. Now these are bred true Silkies, not hatchery Silkies, particularly Silkies from TSC. TSC are closer to standards with many of them not showing pure qualities (missing toes, feathers on shanks, crests, wrong combs, etc.).

How old is she? They stop growing around 5-6 months old. As far as actual Silkie size, it can vary from orgin. A lot of places refer to them as bantams due to them being too small to be a standard, even though they aren't bantams. Most of the Silkies in the US are about twice as large as your average bantam while Silkies from China or Japan are more closer in size to standard chickens. Now these are bred true Silkies, not hatchery Silkies, particularly Silkies from TSC. TSC are closer to standards with many of them not showing pure qualities (missing toes, feathers on shanks, crests, wrong combs, etc.).
I’m honestly not even sure how old she is I got them from someone who breeds silkies and her sister definitely isn’t “pure bred” and she’s missing the extra toe completely and I already established with her breeder, she isn’t a professional really she just hatches her chicken’s eggs. From when I got her maybe I’d say around 6 months seems right so maybe this is her true size? She’s already a bit bigger than my bantam and yes I’ve heard people refer to silkies as bantams and that’s when it got me wondering if she’d be way bigger than my bantam or stay this size forever. I’ve held her older siblings and they seemed bigger but I couldn’t figure out if it was from their huge feathers or they were actually big lol!!

Back
Top Bottom