How big do you grow sprouts?

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
For chickens it seems that most people grow sprouts to 3 or 4 inches, I wonder if that is too tall for quail? I have a ton of dried beans, popcorn, and sunflowers from various sources that my kids and pets won’t eat haha. I have corn and sunflowers growing from the pop corn and hamster food, not sprouts, we are just growing them in the garden, I had a 100% sprout rate with them so I know they will sprout well for feed. So I thought let’s get on sprouting because in the fall we will have more from the plants. So most people go to about 6 days to max out nutrition, I think 4 or 5 might be more quail sized, what do you guys do?

i give them grass sometimes. i've seen one of them eat a dandelion stem that's about 4 inches long. I haven't thought about giving them sprouts.

Ok, Thank you, mine haven’t eaten stems yet, they peck apart the leaves and eat clovers The dandelions had no flowers by the time they went outside.

I started some bean sprouts so I will probably start small 4 days or so and get bigger if it goes well.

I sprout birdseed (millet + sunflowers + other goodies) for my coturnix and have been giving them carrot/beet tops as I thin out the garden. They'll gobble up the ones around an inch or two in height no problem, but pick apart the larger ones. Dandelions are great, too, stem and all.

Back
Top Bottom