How big does a chicken need to be that it isn't HAWK BAIT anymore?

That's discouraging, but informative. The cover I am using is a tarp hooked at all corners. I didn't realize this was a permanent problem. Shall consider something more permanent, like more fencing. They really don't like it when the tarp flaps in the wind.
Eventually I had thought about letting them free range in the garden. But they are already causing destruction. I can just imagine what they'd do to my vegetable plants.
I had them in a brooder box and let them out to "play" during the days in the covered coop. Getting them back in for night time was interesting. 3 nights ago we decided it was time to move to the hen house. So for 2 nights we had to catch chickens and put them in. So yesterday I left the food inside. At first they weren't going back in after food. So I put it in the doorway. By the end of the day they were visiting the food regularly and last night by about 7 they were all in. Yea. Bribery is the best policy.

I couple of week ago I saw a Redtailed Hawk swoop down and pluck a Redheaded Woodpecker off a suet block we had put out for the birds.

It was a horrible sight to see and the poor woodpecker screamed like a baby as I saw it being carried off into the brush.

I'm going to get a plastic owl to put on the chicken coop when my chicks are ready to go outside....hopefully this will deter a predator or two.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to what will work to "cover" the coop area.? Maybe wires would be enough to keep a hawk or owl from getting down in?

Depends on the size of your coop, but I use sunshade cloth on some of my runs. It is relatively cheap, can be cut to size, easily attached to posts/etc with zip ties. Comes in several colors and sizes-lengths. Usually you can get it at lowes/home depot

It's a pretty big coop. Right now we are only letting them in half of it. That's as big as the tarp that is up there. We weren't thinking we would need to cover them forever. But sounds like regrouping is in order. So wire would be more permanent that a tarp or cloth. Plus it would let the sun in on chilly mornings. The tarp is blocking the sun from warming the hen house.

I put avairy netting over my run and used the staple gun to pull it taunt. It is almost invisible unless you're right up on it so it doesn't look unsightly. My understanding is that even though it's lightweight, it is very strong. I got mine (30' x 50') off of Ebay for much less than what they sell it for in stores.

deer netting is good for hawks also hang cds around I usually wait to see em and launce some AAA there way other wise known ans big bottle rockets scares em but dont hurt em they avoid the area now but once in awhile one needs a reminder..

Quote:
Cackling Hen, hey neighbor!
I asked earlier about hawks also, then realized what a hawk doesn't get...I'm sure an eagle can. Guess I must always have covered run.
sad.png

Do plastic owls help deter things also? Any other advice?

Back
Top Bottom