How big does a chicken need to be that it isn't HAWK BAIT anymore?

They are never ever free from being attacked by a hawk I just had and eagle come down and ALMOST take my 1 year old Bantam Cochin
sad.png
Mine free range though so if you have a coverd run for them they will be ok from the hawks and eagle.

I personally had one of my HUGE HEAVY Buff Orp girls taken by a hawk or owl..not sure??? In the middle of the afternoon...from my backyard...they were pretty BIG...maybe 6 mths old? Since then I've decided to keep the babies in covered pens until they are almost fully grown...it's just not worth it to me! It probably depends on how many trees and shrubs you have around for protection too. Since I took mine out of my backyard and let them free range my woods and side yard which has alot of trees for cover...I haven't lost anymore...an I have noticed that when I hawk flies over they all run for cover! They didn't have anywhere to hide in the backyard! My fault...I was a newbie!
hide.gif

I had a 5-weeker taken by this hawk last October:
38935_img_3240.jpg

(I snapped the pic when it came back for another meal two days later. By then I had learned my lesson and had the rest of the 5-weekers in a covered run). While the hawk was sitting on my fence (about 20 mins), my grown-up ladies were free-ranging the backyard. The hawk apparently did not consider attacking them. Once my little chicks were bigger (around 12 weeks), I let them free-range again. I have never lost another to a hawk. So - this is not science but I would say that a standard chook at around 12 weeks starts to be a little less vulnerable. I've had hawks fly over a few times since and the chooks do take cover but as the hawk did not look to be much bigger than them, I don't think they've been in serious danger. However I realize that hawks come in different sizes, so if the ones in your area are bigger than this, even an adult hen could be at risk.

Quote:
Forever. Even if they can't carry something, they can still kill it and eat parts of it - and they will.

Back
Top Bottom