How big does a door in the floor need to be?

clarkechick

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I (er... well, my husband) just built a coop and we have a coop over run layout. The opening to the ramp which is in the floor is 10"x10" based on another member's posting but I'm worried that it wont be large enough for my ladies when they are fully grown. Will it be too small?
Plymouth BR, Buff Orp & Amaraucana

Mines bigger I think mines 18" x 22" but I have a big roo. There is an advantage to having small door.When the weather gets cold you won't have as much draft blowing in.

47243_100_5191.jpg

Ours is 12 x 18 as shown on left of pic. There is a pull up ramp underneath, operated from a hook and nylon rope. My birds were all full-size hens and had no problems with it. I also used a plastic container filled with sand, sitting on top of it at night. They used it for dusting themselves, made is safer and prevented drafts.

Oh dear, so my 10x10 may not cut it? My husband isnt going to love making that alteration!!

I'd say leave it as is.... before it gets to be too small, tell your DH you noticed hs is giving the girls too many treats and he will have to modify their entrance
wink.png

Totally blame it on him
smile.png

Last edited:
If you thinking about getting Jesey Giant, they huge. The rooster is about 24" tall. I just expand my to 13"x16", which good enough and keep the heat during winter.

Quote:
Is your hatch in the floor as well? I dont have any JGs, just my 3 hens.
Thanks

Quote:
Is the 6x6 in the wall or the floor? The other thing that I am battling is that the side of the opening where the ramp attaches is right against the exterior wall, so they have to kind of jump down onto the ramp from the side... So far, so good. Last night was their first night in the coop and everyone but the BR made it up in during the course of the day. Poor Gertie, she just seems to be the slowest one in the bunch at everything!

I did so much research on the subject off chickens that I am trying to get everything "right". Your point that they will adapt is one that I commonly forget! I think that it was here that I saw a chicken coop mounted to a telephone pole and an actual vertical ladder that they had to climb to get to it!

We will see how they do with their 10x10 hatch. If someone gets stuck... I'll know that I need to make some adjustments!!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom