How big is the coop door? Please help

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
this sounds like a silly question but I am a newbie and trying to build my first chicken coop, is there a standard size of the door? I guess it has to fit the chicken, but I never had a chicken before so it does not help there. I am thinking of getting the standard size hens in the near future. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Please give me your dimensions, may be I can average them.

The door only needs to be as big as the person using it. If you need to reach in through it to get to the food or a chicken, make it big enough for you! Otherwise 12in by 10 in is fine. Big chickens can get into little spaces! Actually I have a lot of chickens, like 50, and we need to either enlarge the hole or make another one. They fit fine, but sometimes bossy chickens will stand in the door and not let the other chickens out.

thanks for a quick reply. I did actually put other access doors in the front side of the coop for cleaning purposes, but these doors will remain closed most of the time. Right now I have the door opening for the chickens drawn out at 12"x16", sounds like pretty close to your suggested dimensions. Just want to make sure before I make the cut. Any more suggestions from anyone else? Thanks in advance. Boy I can't wait to order some chics, but not until I finish the coop though.

I would keep the height of the door between 10 & 12 inches. If they can stand in the door...they will. Although some of my girls perch in their door on warm days, taking advantage of the nice breeze.

Really, almost anything will work. And if it doesn't, just make another.

We bought a pre-fab kit, actually a storage building with double door in front so will not have a small 'chicken door'. With our building the doors will be open during the day so the chickens will go in/out that way.

Hi,

12"x10" is fine for LF. I didn't want to make it too big because I worry about the drafts in the winter--mine is attached to a secure run and doesn't close, though I'm thinking about springing for an automated door with a light sensor. Another thing you might want to think about when cutting your chicken door is whether or not you want to set it up a few inches from the floor of your coop. I didn't and wish that I had because the shavings are always falling out. I ended up tacking a piece of 1"x 2" to the bottom, but it would have looked nicer if I'd of just made the cut higher in the first place.

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Mine is 15x15. My BO girls have big booties.

Remember, if you're going to be using deep litter, make sure to cut your door 9 inches (or so) off the floor so that the shavings stay INSIDE the coop.

ETA: Oops, sorry Kittymamma. I didn't see that you already mentioned this....

Last edited:
Quote:
It's all good. After not doing it right the first time and having to retrofit mine I'm sure it's worth mentioning at least twice!
roll.png

My pop door is too big, about 18 X 24 in. I am working on modifying it. Guys who built it didn't know about chickens, and I didn't specify exactly. Apparently they thought chickens are HUGE! LOL! But no problem, overall they did a good job!

I agree with making the "people door" (and both doors, actually) about 6 inches up from the floor. Keeps the shavings in better, and also helps with opening the people door. Mine swings IN, and it's hard to open it with 6 inches of shavings against it. I would recommend having the people door swing OUT. Mine doesn't because I used a recycled door from the house, frame and all, and it would have been too complicated (for me) to reverse the swing of the door. I've been told that it's easy, but........

Just had an addition built on, and this time had the door built in higher. It still swings in, but clears the shavings nicely. (I used the same door, but mounted it higher.)

That brings up another thought. Be sure you build big enough for all the chickens you have or might want to get in the future. Better too big than too small. You can always block off part of it for storage, but making it larger is difficult and expensive. Been there, done that.

Best of luck, and be sure to post pix when you are done.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
thank you for all of your responses. You guys are awesome. This is by far the best forum I have ever encountered. So supportive and friendly, just like a big family. Will start cutting the door when I get home today. I can't wait to see the excitement on my 3 yo daughter's face when we get the first chics (she is already drooling over the pictures of the chics I show her on this forum).

Back
Top Bottom