1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Big of A Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kitchwitch, Feb 15, 2009.

1. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I'm getting 25 chickens from Ideal Poultry this Thursday(hopefully) and I was wondering how big of a brooder I will need?

Some general ideas would be great. I already have an XL dog crate and a couple large cardboard boxes that will be rigged up once the chicks start to get bigger, but I wanted to know what others have done for this amount of chicks.

Keep in mind they're staying inside for around 8 weeks due to weather, and they'll be in a heated garage, so we have plenty of space.

All ideas and advice will be appreciated!

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I go with the cardboard boxes myself, but I'll be interested to see what other people think.[​IMG]

3. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I just got some baby bantams today and I am using a plastic storage box. Easy clean up! I would put newspaper down because plastic can make the chicks toes crooked and it is slick. But hey they work.

Mike the Rooster Man

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I went to U-haul and got one of their big boxes. I started off just using half of it and then later expanded it (took out the partition I had added) as they got bigger.

I put it in a large metal dog cage of similar size and hung my brooder light in a corner with a metal hanger. I always used paper towels with pine shavings.

I hope to do the same thing next Sunday or Monday with the same box after I have wiped it down well with Clorox.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We raised 25 chicks last spring in our second bathroom. They all stayed in the bathtub for about 2 weeks, when they got pretty crowded. Then DH built a 4' x 5' box that they stayed in until 4 weeks - when they got really crowded again. At that time, we got rid of 16, and the remaining 9 stayed in the same box until 6 weeks when we moved them outside to the coop. We're no experts, but it worked last year, so we're planning on using the same brooder again this year.

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I use the plastic storage boxs you find a Wal Mart and other type stores. I use the largest size and cut two holes that allow my lamps to just over, I cover these holes with hardware cloth (metal wire with little square holes). I then put pine shavings to cover the bottom and use two light sources for heat. when your chicks are moved to a growing area I simply wash out the plastic storage box and it is ready for the next batch.

7. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I was trying to convince my mom to let me do the same exact thing, but I had no such luck!!! [​IMG]

8. arlosmine

arlosmine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    What I built in my garage today:

Used an exterior garage wall for one side.

Used the back of a shelving unit for another side.

Used two huge hollow-core sliding doors from a bedroom closet remodel for the last two sides.

Put bird-netting from the garden center over the top, a shower-liner from walmart with six inches of shavings on the bottom.

Held it all together with zip-ties, string and staples so I can take it apart.

Now I have a 7'X10" brooder!

9. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:That's bigger than my coop!!! [​IMG]

10. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    FYI - Virginia Tech., Oregon State Universite and University of Missouri all list brooder space requirements for chicks up to 8 weeks of age as 1 sq. ft.

I have done two batches of 25 chicks in a 4 x 5 brooder and it can be done, but it is really too small. Wall to wall chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by