How big of a flock can I fit

Nov 25, 2021
Oregon
I built a 10 x 10 x 8 run in preparation for having my own chicken flock. I want to grow my flock to 12 chickens and built a coop with 6 nesting boxes and placed inside the run. I would just like some feed back on if this would work. Take a look at the pictures and then let me know your thoughts please. I have an un fenced back yard so I do not let them out. Any feedback on improvements or things noticed would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 46618B68-D63A-438A-9328-08DC52F6411C.jpeg
    46618B68-D63A-438A-9328-08DC52F6411C.jpeg
    918.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 8AC6E0A3-5248-479A-87D1-02763B7426CE.jpeg
    8AC6E0A3-5248-479A-87D1-02763B7426CE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • E7FACCCA-07EC-45BE-BC13-73F62D1B4330.jpeg
    E7FACCCA-07EC-45BE-BC13-73F62D1B4330.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 863B481B-9054-4B56-98BA-8C84E8406088.jpeg
    863B481B-9054-4B56-98BA-8C84E8406088.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Welcome to BYC.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

12 hens
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.

And here is a useful article explaining why these numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast RULES: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

A 10x10 run should accommodate 10 chickens.

How big is your coop? In the photos I don't see any ventilation in it. Could you show interior pictures?

Welcome!
Having your approximate location on your profile helps a lot; climate matters when building a coop and run. The size recommendations given above, and ventilation, all really are important minimums to use when setting up for your flock.
Your photos show a cute red building, very small, with no ventilation or light inside. It's great to have that concrete foundation, but if that's your run, it's also cute but totally not predator proof, and if you are in snow country, not built for snow load on that tarped roof.
Twelve hens will do fine with four nest boxes, a minor point in all this.
Over time, our flock grew, and our coop/ run combination was enlarged and upgraded. What you have now may hold three or four hens, if you add ventilation to that coop, and lock them in every night. Much better would be to build a safe roofed run, so they could be in it 24/7, giving them enough space and safety.
Mary

Thanks for the replies… I currently have 9 chickens living out here and have had no issues. Will probably stay at 9….
I built this run from a kit that I purchased and it was to keep my chickens safe. Before this current chicken run I had raccoons get in and kill off my first attempt at raising chickens. It has been a few months since building this and no more predator issues. I live in Oregon and the only predators I have around here in my current neighborhood is Raccoons, neighborhood cats, and maybe birds of prey.

Welcome!
Having your approximate location on your profile helps a lot; climate matters when building a coop and run. The size recommendations given above, and ventilation, all really are important minimums to use when setting up for your flock.
Your photos show a cute red building, very small, with no ventilation or light inside. It's great to have that concrete foundation, but if that's your run, it's also cute but totally not predator proof, and if you are in snow country, not built for snow load on that tarped roof.
Over time, our flock grew, and our coop/ run combination was enlarged and upgraded. What you have now may hold three or four hens, if you add ventilation to that coop, and lock them in every night. Much better would be to build a safe roofed run, so they could be in it 24/7, giving them enough space and safety.
Mary
Thanks for all of your great feedback… I am new at this and have been at it for about 8 months now since I bought my house. It has gone through a few upgrades and will continue to improve as I learn more about what is needed. I am near Portland, Oregon and snow is not a big factor around here. For the area that I live this structure seems to be predator safe. I had one raccoon attack prior to building this run ( EZ Frames kit ) and since then have had no issues. I have a mixed flock of 9 hens currently living here with the oldest being 6 months old.
The chicken fencing also goes up the roof of this run.
Welcome!
Mary
E3AEBBF6-11F7-40E2-9613-B19BA0F90D00.jpeg

Thanks for all of your great feedback… I am new at this and have been at it for about 8 months now since I bought my house. It has gone through a few upgrades and will continue to improve as I learn more about what is needed. I am near Portland, Oregon and snow is not a big factor around here. For the area that I live this structure seems to be predator safe. I had one raccoon attack prior to building this run ( EZ Frames kit ) and since then have had no issues. I have a mixed flock of 9 hens currently living here with the oldest being 6 months old.
The chicken fencing also goes up the roof of this run.

View attachment 2917935
This picture I attached is to show the steady progression. As I learn more I continue to make improvements.

Back
Top Bottom