How big of a prey will a wolf rat kill? Are my ducklings safe?

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
I have 4 one month old ducklings. Are these slightly-smaller-than-a-football sized birds still prey for these similarly sized wolf rats?

They've outgrown their 100 gallon brooder and I have them in an exercise pen during the day. I'm only 60% sure the Jurassic Rats won't bother them. I know they'll eat small birds but what's their limit on prey size? 🤔

As Wolf rats are a fictional animal capable of attacking humans I'd wager they'd easily take out an entire flock and likely the family dog.

Norway rats on the other hand when hungry due to lack of food will eat chicks.

Where are the rats coming from?
What are they eating that allows them to hang around your coop?
A few years ago a nearby abandoned building was torn down, evicting a GIGANTIC colony. They were gnawing their way into just about everyone's house and were/are big enough to be caught with large live traps. Nowadays they aren't such a rampant issue.

As far as what they may be attracted to would probably be the baby chickens that are hatched year-round. If I slip up on picking up the chicks before dusk they will gobble them up very quickly. I only put out enough feed for the day and it's gone by sunset

Wolf rat is the term used locally here too.

I have been told the rats would eat the toes off of adult hens at night while they roost. I would be concerned especially about an animal who sleeps on the floor.

I also put feeders in a metal bin at night. This helps the most in keeping rodents away from my birds.
Rodents can bring in diseases that can cause problems for you and your birds.

Back
Top Bottom