How big shiould my duck coop be?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenphile, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    We entered the wacky world of raising ducks. We recently got 2 Indian runners, 2 pekins and 1 rouen ducklings. In the bator are 15 eggs of Welsh Harlequins. What dimensions should I be considering for a duck pen and run for them assuming a 50% hatch rate on the eggs? Do they need a water source for swimming also?

Thanks
    Chris

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    You do the math, they need 3 square feet per bird minimum. and no, 3 square feet does not mean a square with 3 ft on each side that is 3x3 =9 square feet. Bigger is usually better the ducks can always use extra space and most owners usually end up with more ducks than they planned on:rolleyes:
    No they don't require a pool but they will enjoy the heck out of one. if no pool they require a water source that they can dip their whole head into to prevent eye and beak problems. they will splash water out on their backs to take a shower rather than a bath. The puddle and mess this will make will make you wish you had a pool instead.

3. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommends 2.5 - 4 sq.ft. of floor space per duck in a house that can be secured at night for predator protection. If they are to be kept in continuously during severe weather 6 -8 sq.ft. is recommended. An additional 10-25 sq.ft per duck is recommended for yard or run space.

Good luck and have fun.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by