How big should a 4-chick brooder be?

chickp

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Georgia
Hi there,
My chickies are on the way (I think they are eggs right now!) and due to arrive June 14 from MPC. I can only get 4, and I am going to go shopping soon for a brooder light and things. How big should the brooder be for only a few? All the pics I see are of a dozen or more chicks. Thanks. Oh and I plan to keep them on our screened porch; it is warm here in GA so with that and the lamp they should be just fine.

Keep it small if you want tame chicks. When you put your hand in the brooder to pick them up, they don't have far to 'run'. I wouldn't have it bigger than 1 square foot/chick and use a clear or opaque container. Speak softly to them, handle them lots and they'll tame down really fast.

It's not really the chicks that take up the space it's the water and food stations. With one of the mason jar type waterers and a small food dish you are still up to about 2sq. ft. Then they will need a bit of room to move around to get closer or farther from the light as they want to. A banana box size container would be good. Line bottom with trash bag, then paper bag, then put in something to keep water elevated like small patio paver (keeps bedding from sucking water out) then give them inch of shavings, food dish, and small branch or 1x1 for roosting. Hang up a light safely and you should be good to go.

Make it big enough that the chicks can get away from the heat lamp if they want to. If you see them pressing up against the furthest corner trying to get away from the heat then you need a bigger brooder OR move the light further away. They need to be able to self regualte or chance dying from the heat.

Back
Top Bottom