How big should a coop be for 5 chickens for a backyard, no I don’t have a farm or 5acres for a backyard

When I have seen it in the past DB has been for either Dear Brother or Dark Brahma so I was just curious how it applied to deep litter. In the past DLM (Deep Litter Method) was the same as DB (now Deep Bedding). Some people use different materials for their DLM, I use pine shavings.

In the past DLM (Deep Litter Method) was the same as DB (now Deep Bedding).

There is a difference between Deep Bedding and Deep Litter. :)

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.

Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

Many people use Deep Bedding inside the coop and Deep Litter in the run as a combined method that works together.

So all of these years I was using deep bedding and thought it was deep litter of pine shavings. It all goes into the compost piles. It's in the coop so I don't add any moisture and it never gets wet. I guess I missed that post. Never too old to learn something. I don't use anything in the pens it's just the ground. I do throw scratch in the pens on the ground and the birds scratch through it. They make fine little tillers.

So all of these years I was using deep bedding and thought it was deep litter of pine shavings. It all goes into the compost piles. It's in the coop so I don't add any moisture and it never gets wet. I guess I missed that post. Never too old to learn something. I don't use anything in the pens it's just the ground. I do throw scratch in the pens on the ground and the birds scratch through it. They make fine little tillers.
I've never heard deep bedding until the last couple of weeks. But I have heard DL a LOT. AND it is inside a coop WITH a floor and dry nearly every time. So we aren't the only ones! LOL

Back
Top Bottom