How big should hens be at 8 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JayBird+16, Jul 28, 2008.

1. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I have 6, 8 week old Araucanas and 4, 7 week old Black Sex Links, (my first chickens.) The Araucanas don't seen to be growing, they were always bigger than the Sex Links and now everyone is the same size, some of the Sexy's are bigger. I'm sure that everyone is still growing, but I'd feel much better if I knew approximate size and weight for 8 week old hens. Thanks.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know the average weight, I imagine it varies by breed and even by bird. I have two Barred Rocks that are a week apart in age, but very different sizes. My Easter Egger is about the same size as my smaller BR and my two Australorps are catching up quickly to the others even though they are about 5 weeks younger.

3. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I am a newbie, too, but since no one else has responded yet, I'll give my 2 cents, move the topic up in the line and hopefully get it to the attention of someone with more experience [​IMG]

Are your Auracana's purebred? If you don't know for sure that they are, then you most likely have EE's - a term for 'mutt' chicks - undetermined lineage. So it would be difficult to determine exactly what size they "should" be, since many genetic factors could be in play.

If I remember correctly, black sex links have a BR as a parent - they are large chickens and it would make sense that they are showing that.

It could be too, that chickens, like humans, have periods of rapid growth, then periods of not so rapid growth, then rapid, etc.

IMHO - if they are healthy, active and eating well you don't have anything to worry about - they'll grow and mature at their own unique speed. And congrats for doing such a great job as a new chicken owner !

4. johncampanelli

johncampanelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Hudson, Ohio
    I have two young Arucanas (only two weeks) and they are already smaller than my other girls. I did some research and discovered that they will end up only about 4 pounds, while my RIRs and Plymouth will top out at 7 pounds. That significant difference may be showing up already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by