how big should i make the nest box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunflowerenvy, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    hi i have 9 pullets n a roo Australorp, Cochin,Buff Orpington, maybe Campine they are like Standard size chicken i need to make nest boxes for my coop . would like to know the size of the nest boxes i made and how made should i have now.? i would like to get 5 more chicken down the road , i thought to put the nest boxes about 12 inch off the foor

my coop is 8 x12
    my run is 10x 10 but it will be expand to10x20 when then fence come in
    any other idea will be welcome?
    pic of the coop will be following later?

2. Kansasfarmliving

Kansasfarmliving New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    It is best to build a nest that provides about one square foot or more of room - enough for the chicken to turn around. The bottom and top of the entrance should be blocked a few inches across the opening to give the feeling of being in a den or cubbyhole of sorts. Information found at http://www.frugal-living-freedom.com/raising-chickens.html

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ours are 1 foot square for chickens.

Steve

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    My DH made mine next boxes a bit too small. I would recommend them being at least 14 square. my little game hens fit in the boxes fine, but the bigger hens are going to have a bit of an issue. IMO.

but who know the big hens may like the cozy little spot.

5. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Mine are 18" inches off the ground, I also have a 8x12 coop. My boxes are 12"wide, 15" high and 18"deep inside and the "entrance hole" is 10x10
    [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Germanchick...very pretty nest boxes!
    Most say chickens will do fine w/12x12 nest boxes. However, I'd go for something more like a 14 x 14 if you can...

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Variety the spice of life!![​IMG]
    I have two 12x12 and one 12x24 raised up off the ground 18" or so and one 14x14 on the ground. All get used about equally.
    ON

8. LittleChooks

LittleChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Very helpful, thanks all. I think I'll make mine about 12'' x 12" for my 2 Bovans Goldlines / isa browns. Is this to small?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by