1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big should my nest boxes be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by barg, Apr 27, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Hi,
    I just got 4 chicks (2 black australorp, 2 dominiques)and i'm designing a coop.
    These are my first chickens and I need info on nest box dimensions.
    The question I posted in the subject line is answerd on the main website as follows:

"For larger breeds, a box 12" high, 12" deep and 14" high is fine"

Are the 2 height demensions on purpose or is this a typo, and if it is a typo what are the actual demensions needed?

Being a master of typo's myself, my first thought was that this must be the case, but the noob that I am, maybe I'm missing something.

Pardon any spelling errors [​IMG]

2. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    In "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens", it says for normal standard birds, you can go 14" high x 12"wide x 12"deep. For larger birds, you want it to be 14" high x 14" wide x 12" deep.

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Thanks alot! [​IMG]

4. jhammett

jhammett Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    wow I missed that I just built mine 12" high X 12" deep X 18" wide. 5 boxes on an 8' stretch all one piece. Will this work or should I rebuild?

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You are fine. You just have executive nest boxes! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LOVEMYCHICKS03

LOVEMYCHICKS03 Chillin' With My Peeps

It should be pretty big but to to to big! So I say for LF hens ( Large Fowl hens) 14 x 14 x 14 :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by