how big should the chicken doors be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PurplePoppiPpl, Oct 21, 2012.

1. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    i am in the process of building my first chicken coop and was wondering what size the chicken door should be...
    thanks

P.S. I have speckled sussex, silver laced wyandotte, belgian d'Uccle, cochin, BO, and amerucunas...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    What size chickens do you plan on having ?

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Our LF coop's door is 12 or 14 inches across. He little banty coop's door is about 8 inches across. Those sizes seem to work well for our girls. :)

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have similarly sized birds and the pop door is 12Wx14H. They seem comfortable using it.

5. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    My pop door is only 10" wide and it's just fine. I think it's 14" high. We've had australorp, barneveldor, EE and black copper marans

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is 7" wide by 11" tall. I have 5 RIRs and 3 araucanas. Nobody has any trouble gaining access.
    [​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's funny because when I see them duck and scoot under a fallen limb, it's pretty obvious they could get through a space half the size I've provided.

Something worth considering when you're cutting the hole is whether you'll eventually want an automatic door. Door kits require specific hole sizes for installation and it's always easier to enlarge than to reduce the cutout. I also wanted to suggest that you make the hole several inches above the coop floor. Mine is 8" up and nobody complains about having to hop. It really helps to keep the litter in.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good point. Before I built the new coop, I added the add-a-motor to my existing pop door. Although door size really doesn't apply here. The whole thing got transferred to the new coop.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by