1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    We are starting on our coop design. Have about two months to get it ready for the little ones, maybe less. We are planning to use pallets, since they are free.

I'm wondering how big I need it for about 50 hens. I will put a separate part for my roos and one or two breeding sections in. I plan to free range my birds, but have a run for when I'm out of town and need someone else to let them in and out. That way they don't have to chase them.

Also, how does everyone keep the coop cool in hotter weather. It's not uncommon for us to have 100 degree days alot! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your coop will need shade.

You also will need 200 sqaure feet for the coop. 10 X 20 coop would do and you could make separate pens in it.

3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Thanks. That is what I was figuring. About 4 square feet per bird. How many nesting boxes would you suggest. I know it's a long way off, but want to prepare every part of the plan.

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd say you need somewhere around ten to twelve nestboxes, or one for every four or five hens.

As for keeping the coop cool in summer, just make sure you have plenty of ventilation and shade. If you want to really make sure they are comfortable, fans are a good option, but I don't know if you have electricity running out to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by