How big

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
I'm clearing out some land in our back yard that is currently all wooded. I plan on making this my duck area. How big should I make it? Right now, I have cleared 30 ft across, but not sure how deep to make it? What would a good size be? I want to make like a man made pond back there for them.

This is the right side, I want to use that tree as the ending - That pile near the tree is the beginning of our compost pile, We moved that to the right of the tree, so that is no longer there...... That is my 7 y/o daughter helping me
woods.jpg

This is the left side, I have cleared a little past that tree - There is 30 feet between both ends
woods2.jpg

woods3.jpg

How far back should I aim for? I'm not sure how many ducks we will end up with before we are done, but right now we have 6 eggs in the incubator and I want to get more.

The more the better. I have 9 and they have about one acre to play with. They first only used part of it, but now near the end of summer they are using it all. More land means more bugs for them to eat and less poo building up for you. Don't worry about clearing up all of it. Leaves are perfect for bugs to hide under. Your ducks will love it as is.

Quote:
It is mostly viney type of stuff back there. And lots of those prickly things that I'm trying to pull up all the roots. I plan on leaving the rocks and big trees there, just trying to clear up all the trash and other stuff.....

Back
Top Bottom