How can a hen not lay eggs?

chickathon

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
West Virginia
I have had this golden sebright hen since april. She has NEVER lain an egg. She is about a year and a half years old. She came from an aunt who was done raising chickens. She is a cute and funny little bird. She has a home for as long as she lives. This has always baffled me I thought all hens laid eggs until elderly. What could be her problem?

Quote:
I have one that's 2 years old and the person I got her from told me that she got egg bound as a pullet and after that one time has never laid one. I've had her from about a year and I've never seen her in a nest box!!
idunno.gif

I have a silkie hen that I bought in April that has never layed an egg either. She came with 2 other hens and a pile of eggs. She sat on the eggs for awhile and was very mothering towards the chicks, but now there aren't any chicks and she still hasn't layed an egg. Maybe she is forever broody like mine?

Join the club. I got my RIR from a relative in Feb. and she was a 1 1/2 yrs at the time and she has never laid an egg for me. She is very sweet. She is healthy, a little slower than my other 2. So I just let her be.

Back
Top Bottom