How can I add 2 chicks to a flock of 7 with an mild Aggressive Rooster?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Okay here's the plan

I'm hoping we're making our coop part bigger because I have a flock of 7. 6 standards and 1 silkie. Out of the six I have a tamed aggressive rooster. He used to be aggressive towards me but he cuddles and loves my attention now but he's aggressive towards others, not me. My one silkie does get bullied and picked on so my plan is to get 2 more silkies and when she goes broody in the spring well bring her inside and have her look after them. My flock turns 1 I Believe the first day of March. Maybe sometime in February.

Well, my problem is how the flock would react to the two new ones, especially my Rooster. Plus how do I know they won't bully them. I also have to worry about the genders of the two silkies. If I do happen to get a rooster, then I can't keep him. My plan is not to get attached because of that reason. (Why I kept my first rooster). I won't be able to make a second coop so that's out. I think they have a lot of room in the run as we made it very big in my opinion. The 2 silkies are just so my one silkie can have a little group and hopefully, it stops some of the bullyings but I doubt that.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone had a similar situation?

I wouldn't recommend putting small Silkies with standard sized chickens. It sounds like the one you have Is having a tough time, so adding 2 more might just cause 3 to be picked on. Is there any way to give them their own space?
My one silkie has been out of the coop for a week and stayed with me in the house taking some outdoor breaks. And even for like an hour away from the flock she always wants to go back so I dont knowhow giving her own space may be for her and the other 2

I'm hoping we're making our coop part bigger because I have a flock of 7.
How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics.

My one silkie does get bullied and picked on so my plan is to get 2 more silkies and when she goes broody in the spring well bring her inside and have her look after them
There's no guarantee a broody will adopt chicks.
Best bet is broody for 2 weeks and chicks are day olds.
Broody and chicks should live in the coop, not your house.

Well, my problem is how the flock would react to the two new ones, especially my Rooster.
More likely that the females will attack new birds, rather than the male.
But hard to predict.
Why you need lots of space with provisions to make separate sections of coop and run for integration.

How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics.

There's no guarantee a broody will adopt chicks.
Best bet is broody for 2 weeks and chicks are day olds.
Broody and chicks should live in the coop, not your house.

More likely that the females will attack new birds, rather than the male.
But hard to predict.
Why you need lots of space with provisions to make separate sections of coop and run for integration.
1. It's dark rn but we just planned for spring that we WILL finally be adding on to the coop. I will get pictures tomrrow if I remind myself. I may have old pictures I'll have to look
2. Were not expecting her to adopt them but my best bet would be to raise them on my own or wait until one of the hens are broody and go from there.
3. I would say all the females are bullies. Some days they will defend others and some days they wont. It depends on their mood ALOT.
4. The separation thing. We dont have a plan but may be able to incorporate that with the add on of the coop.

These are pics before we finished our winter preparations. That trianleged part is going to be the add on and we are making that part of the coop.

Attachments

• 20201022_143833.jpg
    20201022_143833.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201022_143844.jpg
    20201022_143844.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201022_143845.jpg
    20201022_143845.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201022_143851.jpg
    20201022_143851.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 9
thats a good plan .. with older established flock newcomers may need their own space, at least to roost, for quite some time.. maybe several months .. if the coop is on the reserved side you might have to fence off their own area complete with alittle food and water ... they'll likely be fine in the run during the day if its larger after initial introductions are out of the way, that part wont take more than a week or two once theyre feathered ... i start 'just' putting them in the run for awhile and taking them back to the brooder to feed them at first and go from there, feel it out ..

thats a good plan .. with older established flock newcomers may need their own space, at least to roost, for quite some time.. maybe several months .. if the coop is on the reserved side you might have to fence off their own area complete with alittle food and water ... they'll likely be fine in the run during the day if its larger after initial introductions are out of the way, that part wont take more than a week or two once theyre feathered ... i start 'just' putting them in the run for awhile and taking them back to the brooder to feed them at first and go from there, feel it out ..
Thank you. Were thinking to either make a door to the add on from inside the coop and fence wall so they can see eachother at night but the older birds wont be able to peck them. Or since were adding roosts in the add on itll be big enough for everyone to find there own place and no crowding. If we do get them I'll introduce them by letting them out in the garden area all together as that's big enough and where the older hens are happiest.

Back
Top Bottom