how can i avoid putting down my whole flock and still show?

thankyou for being honest i would never want to burden anybody else with this .with the carriers doesnt that mean all of them

Last edited:
Some use Tylan with great success. I've not found that it works for me like the Duramycin.

As to the apple cider vingar: I said BLEACH. Apple cider vingar is not going to kill germs the bleach does. That is what you need now to kill germs. In a common water fount the birds are passing the germs to one another. You have to kill those germs!

I have my own thoughts on the showing deal and will keep them to myself as they will not help you at all in this situation. saladin

ok thanks ill use the bleach i just read on another post to us apple cider vinegar to help alleviate symptoms and my coop floor is dirt i think im gonna slip a board or wire under it becaus it may be contributing to the problem ill go look for dyramycin i thinkthat this diasease was passed to my birds from one i got a while ago that had bubbles in eyes head shaking squeaking and smelled horrible here he is he won 2nd place on byc for ugliest chicken lol i think this may have something to do with this ughhh

45605_frederick_chicken_show_053.jpg

Last edited:
My coop floor is dirt as well: I like dirt. Just remove the top inch of it then spray the dirt. Next put in the straw. In the future just take up the straw and the loose dirt. saladin

I would never show a sick bird! Let that be said first and foremost.

Ok, I decided to talk to about showing and coryza too.

I honestly don't see a problem. Here's why:

A number of show folks that I know vaccinate their birds for coryza. This is done all the time. There are two types of coryza vaccine: one is a live virus the other dead. It is the live virus type that is the most readily available and used. Once vaccinated with the live virus that bird is now a carrier!!!! However, these birds are shown all the time: particularly in the northern states. Just go around the show room and ask.

Any bird that has been in the presents of a bird with coryza is a potential carrier as I understand it even if they have never shown any symptoms of the disease. In other words, it's as if they had been inoculated. I see no difference between the two.

That said, if someone ask me if I've ever had coryza the answer is yes. Where did it come from? Wild birds? The Show Room? I don't know. I just know the reality of fighting the disease.

By the way, all the people I know really well that raise and show birds have also had coryza. As a matter of fact, most of the free-rangers I know have had it too. saladin

Quote:
ARE coryza vaccines these days live?? All information I could find through google seems to indicate that most or all of what's now on the market is INACTIVATED coryza vaccines, i.e. the organism is killed and does NOT cause the bird to be a carrier after vaccination. ??

Even if that were not the case, there is still a difference between (most, if not all) live vaccines vs getting the disease itself. Live vaccines are made with attenuated strains of the organism, that is strains that have been selected to be as mild and nonlethal and un-serious as possible. And that attenuated strain is all that a carrier-as-result-of-live-vaccination will carry. As opposed to animals who remain carriers after having HAD the disease, most of which are going to be carrying much more virulent strains.

Just sayin',

Pat

I've been raising fowl for many years, and have NEVER had any disease, worms, or mites.....so I don't have a clue what you all are talking about!
wink.png

All I can say is you can put some of them disease riddled fowl on my yard whenever you feel the urge... lol

Back
Top Bottom