how can i avoid putting down my whole flock and still show?

Are you sure this is Coryza? Sometimes people just assume the worse--this may just be an upper respiratory infection that could be treated with meds. Until you have your state vet confirm it, I would hold off on culling everything. And I agree with Speckledhen--you shouldn't show if you do in fact find out your birds are carriers. Good luck!

well i havent tested them and im not going to cull theyre my babies lol ( i just joke to cheer myself up a bit )and im going to use a broad spectrum antibiotic bactrim and see what happens thanks for the luck and i should see whats happening before i get myself all worked up

Last edited:
Quote:
The avian vet here doesn't euthanize for testing. They will run tests on live birds. Yes, it is very expensive. I was just trying to come up with an alternative way to determine what illness they do have without having to send one to the state vet since she does not want to have one culled.

I never had trouble with my birds until I started showing them. Now I have something I think may be Mareks. I think you probably take a big risk anytime your birds leave your place.

Also having lots of trouble with cocci this year, maybe all the wet weather this winter. NC has been the wettest I think I have ever seen and calling for more this weekend.

First of all I don't think it is coryza if there are no smells coming from the birds. I had IB running thru the flock last year and it presented itself with the bubbly eyes. I used areumycin (cloratetracycline (sp) and cleared it right up With infectious bronchitis they are only carriers for a short period I think I read 10 days? correct me if I am wrong experts. Another thing is if your coop has a dirt floor bleach WILL NOT work bleach doesn't work on porous surfaces so I would agree with peter brown and use the oxine. Of course there is no telling what your birds have exactly unless you have one tested and sometimes that isn't an option when it costs a small fortune to do so. Here it was over $80 and over an hour drive just to get there. That wasn't an option for me. Best of luck to you finding out what ales your birds and getting them healthy again
hugs.gif

Quote:
The avian vet here doesn't euthanize for testing. They will run tests on live birds. Yes, it is very expensive. I was just trying to come up with an alternative way to determine what illness they do have without having to send one to the state vet since she does not want to have one culled.

You have an avian vet who test himself/herself? Now that is impressive. All alternatives are worthy of mention; I'm just cheap. Didn't mean to offend in any way.

Quote:
I was thinking I read smells somewhere? Long day, who knows.

Shotgun approach: that is what I said.

Bleach will work on the walls, roosting post and boxes. Remember, I said dig the ground out, or you can buy Oxine. I also said Peter was right too.

Last edited:
Quote:
wow 1500 dollars i didnt think you were misleading me ..i trust your judgement!!!!!

Never be impressed by money spent on a bird. First, it is just money. Secondly, it just means the buyer agreed with the sellar as to the worth of the bird. That's all. Both sellar and buyer could just be stupid!

Did I say I paid that much? lol.

Back
Top Bottom