How can I be sure that I am providing my geese with the correct ratio of feeds?

AudreyRangel

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
I currently have four 1.5 month old geese. I have already experienced and cured angel wing on 3 of them, so I don't want anything like that to happen again. I am currently feeding feeding them a 1/3 20% protein chick starter, 1/3 cracked corn, and 1/3 oats ratio. I am not able to find any feed that's not layer feed under 20% protein. That's why I'm using oats and corn to try and cut the protein. Can anyone tell me if this is a good mix? I would also love any recommendations of a good feed, thanks!!

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're somewhere that's warm right now, let them out to graze :) Geese evolved to eat grass, and if you can let them out to graze, they will eat it up. They actually prefer grass to feed - this time of year, I let my geese out in grazing pens, and they barely touch the feed I leave out for them all the time.

Additionally, I would cut out the corn. Corn has very little nutritional value.

20% is also not a dangerous amount of protein. I usually grow my geese out on a feed that's actually 22% protein, and have never had issues with angel wing. Sometimes there is a genetic component to angel wing, and males are far more likely to get it than females, so it's possible that the three you have that did get it were genetically predisposed and also males, making it more likely to have happened.

All that said, what do you have for feed stores near you? Any Tractor Supply stores? If yes, you can purchase NatureWise chick starter there, which, even though it's for chicks, has plenty of niacin, more than 3 times the base recommended amount for ducklings, in fact, and also is a little lower in protein at 18%. You could get this and feed it to them.

Awesome, thanks very much! I live in Texas where it is very warm, so my geese free to graze for about 8 hours each day. However, we don't have much grass (all very dry and dead). As for the angel-wing, yes I believe the 3 that got it are males!! Now for feed, Tractor Supply is pretty much the only large feed retailer near me. I've never seen the NatureWise brand there unfortunately. I know it also has 20% protein, but can I get your opinions on the Purina Flock Raiser for my geese??

Again, thank you very much :)

Awesome, thanks very much! I live in Texas where it is very warm, so my geese free to graze for about 8 hours each day. However, we don't have much grass (all very dry and dead). As for the angel-wing, yes I believe the 3 that got it are males!! Now for feed, Tractor Supply is pretty much the only large feed retailer near me. I've never seen the NatureWise brand there unfortunately. I know it also has 20% protein, but can I get your opinions on the Purina Flock Raiser for my geese??

Again, thank you very much :)

Flock Raiser is a good feed for geese too :)

Back
Top Bottom