How can I best avoid illness in my chicks?

bionic_chicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Spring, TX
Hi. I'm new. I'm picking my babies up in 2 1/2 weeks. The coop is almost done. I haven't set up the brooder yet, but I will by this weekend. My question is, what is the best way to avoid illness in my babies? What are your "tricks" to keep your little ones healthy. I've read posts about medicated feed, diatomaceous earth, first aid kits, etc. My fear is that I won't recognize a problem to be able to correct it. I know that I will gain experience, I'm just really hoping these sweet chicks don't have to teach me hard lessons. In other words, if you experienced mommies and daddies could give me a heads up on the precautions you take, I will follow your instructions. I don't want to learn the hard way, if possible. That being said, I realize sometimes a chick is weak and can die. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything in my power to safeguard them. Sorry for the length of the post, but one other question: should I grow some tough grass in the run? I have dirt. Ok, I admit it...I'm a little scared.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Well, you're off to a good start because a lot of people buy the chicks then come on here asking questions like, "What do I feed them?"
hmm.png
So, the fact that you are asking questions before the little ones arrive is a good thing!
You'll recognize a problem if you spend enough time with them. They all have quirks and you'll just know that something's not right. At that point, we can always help you out.
Some people don't like medicated feed, some do. I've never done it but I'm not against it. I would suggest making sure they are vaccinated (I say that because I've lots two birds to cocci).
I'm not really sure what else to tell ya!

One bit of information that can help. Keep your brooder , box or what ever you are using, very clean. Change it daily , I change my water a few times each day. Things will happen that will be out of your control but this is something you can do that will definitely help! Also, spend a lot of time on this site and you will get great information and help should you need it.
Good Luck and post some photos when you get them.
D.gif

Thanks! Any secrets or tricks to success are appreciated! Any thoughts on the grass vs. dirt? Will grass just be pummelled into dirt anyway?

Quote:
lol.png
Yes!

Unless you move the run every couple of days.

Keep them clean, keep them well fed and with lots of fresh water.

Don't visit your neighbors chickens then go to your own.

They will give you very few problems. The problems you do get have been had before, so search these boards for answers.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom