HOw can I boost their fat and protein to imrove feathering?

kickinchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rhode Island
I have two 5 week old bantam Ameraucanas and a Silkie bantam that I want to have out of the basement in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I have 4 other bantams (Ages 9 months and 4 months) outside in the coop.
So, what can I do to get them to gain more fat stores and improve their winter feathering? I have had the heat off them for over a week now and the girl I bought them from said they are bigger than their siblings and more feathered out. I think she still keeps heat on hers.

Right now they are on the Blue Seal medicated chick feed, they usually get daily treats of kale, ricotta cheese/cottage cheese, apples and pasta. I was thinking of giving them BOSS but aren't they a bit young for that?

Cut out all that extra stuff but for the kale. Of that only give them no more than what they can clean up in about five minutes. You are diluting their nutritional intake. The chick feed has what they need. These things cannot be rushed.

I mixed my chick starter with broiler grower around 5 weeks. Only 1/4th of the broiler high protein to 3/4 of the regular starter. I only did this because my chick starter was a lower protein. Our Farm and Home was out of their regular starter ration.

Aw, no cheese or apples? They will be so disappointed. They do clean out everything, including the kale in about 10 minutes. They FREAK OUT when they see me come with the treat plates.

I don't want to rush them, I just want them to be fully prepared for the upcoming winter. I also let them have time outside on days when its above 40 degrees. I think this helps alot.

Back
Top Bottom