How can I deter hawks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lablover, Nov 15, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I have 5 hens and a rooster that free range part of the day. The rest of the time they are locked in a fenced in yard that attaches to their coop.

Lately I have seen a hawk twice flying over them and even perched somewhere low on the ground. They hens completely freeze after they run for cover and the rooster starts clucking like crazy.

Is there anything I can do?

2. chefman4u2

chefman4u2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Knoxville TN
    Well your not supposed to kill them as they are protected, but most owners feel that they have the right to protect their farm animals and I agree. I suggest a 12 ga with a shot larger than #4.

3. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Haha![​IMG]

4. Fluffnpuff

Fluffnpuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    As said above, it is illegal to kill hawks. That being said, if you do kill one, and I'm not encouraging you to do so, don't admit it on an online forum, email, or txt. That and burry the body deep. Maybe take into consideration how close neighbors are to you and whether they would see or report you.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Keep your birds locked up a couple of days and most likely the hawk will move on

6. linuxman

linuxman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    The problem with all this is that one hawk actually went into the back of the coop and killed two 4 month old hens under the roost, AND THEN SAT THERE ON THE GATE!!! We may have scared it off, but where we are, there have been so many hawks this summer, from last winter, that this may be a common occurence. We have the fishing line strung, plenty of shelter, but the darn little coopers hawk has now killed 3 hens and a full grown roo. Help!

7. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Have you thought about doing a chicken tractor. No it is not free ranging as they are doing now but it is much safer.
    I too have hawks trying for my hens. I am not allowing free ranging at all now. In the spring I am redoing my entire coop set up to give them more space.
    I am also fencing in my garden area and putting netting over top of it for even more space they can use.
    I will have to fence in every plant in the garden of course. It is better than losing a hen IMO.
    Any other time out of the run will have to be in a tractor here.
    Just a thought.
    When I took on raising hens I also took on looking after their safety. They may not always like it but I have a responsibility to do it.

8. linuxman

linuxman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Our snow is too heavy and deep to do that. I wish we could! Maybe in warmer climates!

9. chefman4u2

Sep 17, 2012
    Knoxville TN
    I have studied their behavior and they seem to have a 3~4 day cycle of the areas they hunt. Same with raccoons.

10. chefman4u2

Sep 17, 2012
    Knoxville TN
    Get a bigger farm animal in the same area. Goats work good or raise a puppy with the chickens (no guarantee that it won't become a chicken killer...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by