How can I encourage my ducks to eat grit?

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
My ducks will try and eat it, but it usually just comes right back out of their mouth and they go to find their crumbles.

If I put it in it's own bowl they won't touch it. If it's in their food, they will eat a little bit, but usually they nose around it to get to their food.

Any advice?

Do they free range? I see mine eat so much dirt that I assumed I didn't need to grit. But I could be totally wrong! I did offer them a bowl of chick grit (from feed store) and they beaked and ignored it entirely.

They are only 2 weeks and don't free range. Where I live the soil really doesn't have what they need for grit, so I will supply it to them constantly to make sure they have enough.
Can a small amount be occasionally mixed into their feed? My ducks did sample it but I assume because they get what they need from dabbling in the dirt they just don't want the grit itself? I don't know. 2 weeks is pretty young couldn't you just keep offering, a la carte at all times and they will eventually eat it when needed? I try to assume that animals know what they need most of the time and as long as it's offered- assume they will get what they need. (except when sick or not when offered)

I sprinkled about a teaspoon in a 6 inch diameter feed bowl once a day for my ducklings for the first several weeks, when they were indoors only. (That is what is recommended in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.) Worked fine. Don't worry if they don't eat it all. Some if it will get into their precious, tiny bills.

Gosh, ducklings are so cute!

That's odd? Mine would eat anything I gave them from day one. I think it was about day 3 or 4 that I gave them a little cage bird grit in a small bowl. At about 2 or 3 weeks I gave them oyster shell that I sifted with a tea strainer. Just make sure they have plenty of water nearby. As I understand it ducks scoop up food in their bill and than wash it down.

My mother used to tell me not to do that but...
lol.png

Mine didn't show much interest in grit until they started going outside for most of the day. When they need it they will start to eat it, just keep it available.

I put a little grit in my babies' bowl with the food because I was also giving them strawberry tops & mealworms & such. Once I put them outside their entire run is sand, so no need for grit. When I mix it in their food it just goes right on down with it.

Back
Top Bottom